CLI Video processing on Windows fails

Is there anything I need to configure to get video processing working in GMIC/CLI on Windows? Or do I need to compile some specific build myself?
I have tested both the latest 1.7.9 and the 2.0.0_pre binaries for Windows 64bit available from the website, and both seem to fail for all video processing commands. I tested with various .mp4, .mpeg and .avi files, always no output is generated and the commands finish pretty much instantaneously.

Here is the output of 3 sample commands:

c:\gmic -w -apply_video fb.mpeg,"-denoise 30,10",0,-1,1
[gmic]-0./ Start G’MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./ Display image in 256x256 display window [0], with auto-normalization, no fullscreen and title ‘[G’MIC] Window #0’.
[gmic]-0./ Apply command ‘-denoise 30,10’ on input video file ‘fb.mpeg’, with first frame 0, last frame -1, frame step 1 and output filename ‘’.
[gmic]-0./ End G’MIC interpreter.

c:\gmic -video2files fb.mp4,fbo.png
[gmic]-0./ Split input video file ‘fb.mp4’ into image frames ‘fbo.png’, with first frame 0, last frame -1, and frame step 1.
[gmic]-0./ End G’MIC interpreter.

c:\gmic -average_video fb.mp4 -n 0,255 -o average.jpg
[gmic]-0./ Average frames of input video file ‘fb.mp4’, with first frame 0, last frame -1, frame step 1 and output filename ‘’.
[gmic]-0./ Normalize image in range [0,255].
[gmic]-0./ Output image as jpg file ‘average.jpg’, with quality 100%.
[gmic]-0./ *** Error *** Command ‘-output’: File ‘average.jpg’, instance list (0,0000000000000000) is empty.

Can anyone help?
AFAIK, video processing is handled using OpenCV, but it seems that is linked in?

1 Like

Hello Tobias, I’ll try tomorrow on my system.
As you said, the video loading is managed by the OpenCV library, maybe I’m not using the right DLLs ?

Hello everyone,

On Windows 7 (64 bit) I have tested myself today’s version (gmic_cli_2.0_pre-win64).

This command fails to work as well :
gmic.exe -files2video .*.jpg,video_personale.avi,1

It always produces an empty video file (0 kb).
In the past the video was around 2 Mb (and it played fine later on).
Today, I have tested the same jpeg images, which I saved them on purpose to test G’MIC…

EDIT: the above command pasted here lacks the \ (bracket before jpeg images). It looks like it is a forum glitch. Whenever I save this post the \ disappears :frowning: