Color balance RGB chroma slider value range [POLL]

Well you need this right I think they are meant to be LCh values and so to theoretically be able to select a certain rgb value equivalent you need that…

Maybe I need to check but I think this is correct

at least overdoing it results in strange artifacts… and plenty of complaints

That too, but that issue depends on the selected hue. What may be valid for reds, will totally ruin the picture for blues. That aside, we’re trying to verify whether the default ranges are sensible or not. The issue you describe can be solved by not pushing the slider so much to the right hehe

Interesting poll… I’ve been quite happy with the current arrangement of the 4 way slider, but now you mention it I realize I rarely use more than half the slider range. I’m still happy with it though. Filled in the survey. At first I though the question was about the linear chroma grading sliders in the master tab. With these, I’ve been kown to use the full range, so I wouldn’t want them to go any smaller. I like my colours :wink:

My primary use is one of two. I use the picker to neutralize a cast in the selected tonal adjustment and then make subtle changes to that or I will add 180 degrees to the hue to enhance the cast in that range. I rarely add a color on my own and 95% of the time I start from the picker value and the chroma is just moved up or down to suit my taste so for me the range really never comes in to play but I can appreciate others will use it differently …

1 Like

Hi again! Sorry to nag you, but it would be really great to get a larger sample in this survey. If you haven’t filled it out, please do so. It would be really helpful.

Thank you!

@paperdigits would you consider pinning this post for a couple of days, so people can find the survey more easily?

I have zero interest in contributing to Ansel, sorry. I don’t really understand what we’re going to get out of this anyway.

1 Like

Wow, that’s some friendly moderating. Never mind Ansel. Let’s talk darktable:

Say a given slider goes from 0-100%. Let’s also assume that a large portion of users only use said slider between 0-15% most of the time. The slider’s value range between 15-100% in this case is useless. To make matters worse, most users, most of the time have a hard time picking their desired value, since the desired clickable area is so small. In this case, I would say, changing the default span would make things better most of the time for a majority of users. For more extreme corner cases, the value would have to be typed in manually.

Let’s assume the opposite. Most users most of the time pick values between 0-100%. In this case the value range is well set and no change should be applied.

Since our individual experience is subjective, the best way to figure this out would be through a survey. That’s why I asked you to pin it, so we can have a more sizable sample. With those results both the Ansel and darktable dev teams can make an informed decision whether it makes sense to change the default values or not.

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation to either project. I use Ansel, because I agree with its approach, and it suits my needs. I mentioned this issue to Aurelien, and he asked me to gather feedback before reevaluating such a change, which is what I am doing. I have no intention to pick fights on internet forums with you or anyone else because you use this or that application, or because there’s bad blood between developers. You can either help me (and the rest of us users along the way), or not.

You’re asking me to spend my personal free time doing something I don’t want to do. Perhaps another mod can pin it for you. I’ve given you an honest answer, i don’t want to spend my time doing that. If you can’t understand that, I don’t know what to tell you.

You said you didn’t understand. I explained what there is to gain potentially for both applications in terms of ease of use of a rather important module. But it seems like you weren’t really interested in understanding my motivation for starting the above mentioned survey. I can see that you are upset at Aurelien for the way everything went down. The thing is, I’m not him. I’m just a user trying to contribute to an application. There’s nothing personal here. If you don’t want to help me by pinning the thread, perhaps you or others here can point me to the other mods in this forum.

From the initial post it’s still not clear what the poll is about. For starters:

Huh? I see eight chroma sliders in that module…

If someone wants me to participate in a poll, why should I have to spend effort to figure out the what and why of the poll? Not to mention having to follow an off-site link I don’t know anything about.

About identifying moderators:
look at the names, some have a little “shield” next to their name. There’s also a “group” entry in the hamburger menu. I’m sure you’ll recognise some of the moderators.
But a little hint: as a moderator in another group, I can assure you that using personal messages to get their attention, after a public appeal didn’t work, is rarely appreciated.

Nope, I’m just tired of it all.

Its nice you think you can tell me what I do and don’t understand. Good day.

Thank you, my original post wasn’t clear. I’ve fixed it now. Hopefully that helps.

The following links part seems kind of strange. It’s just a polling site with free accounts that I found online that seemed well suited for this kind of thing. Again, I’m just a user. There is no hidden agenda. If the website seems sketchy to you, you don’t need to participate. I am just asking for some feedback, not your credit card number.

If that goes against this forum’s etiquette, then I won’t ping anyone. If anyone wishes to spare 20 seconds on a 5 question survey, it would be much appreciated.

I hope I didn’t put words on your mouth. You said “I didn’t really understand what we’re going to get out of this anyway”, so I assumed you actually didn’t understand.

It seems to me that you being upset at Aurelien is the only reason why you would be unpleasant with me. We don’t know each other, and I don’t think I’ve ever been rude to you. I was in the forums when all of that happened, and I’ve listened to everyone’s point, including yours, and I’ve tried to calm the waters whenever possible.

I’m sorry if my request rubbed you the wrong way, I meant no offense. I will only say that, if asking for such trivial help is met with such a level of hostility, not by regular users, but by moderators, perhaps this community is no longer for me. Just as a friendly reminder:

Was I unpleasant? I’ve given you very clear answers. I understand that you don’t like that answers, but that isn’t “unpleasant” in my book.

And again, I’m not upset or angry, I’m tired and I try to spend my personal free time doing things I think will be productive. Nobody but me gets to decide what that is.

1 Like

This whole thing smells like a personal crusade of @anon16817310 to get the slider range changed to his taste (after being brushed off by AP).

I don’t believe, it was a good thing, if everybody, who wants to change a range, would start a survey. Also the poll is probably biased, because people who are happy with the range, wouldn’t care enough to participate…

Yes, you have not been very pleasant. I’ll give you an example: “I am sorry. After everything that went down between Aurelien and the devs in this community, I prefer not to get involved in anything that might benefit his projects. Perhaps you have better luck with another moderator. I hope you understand.”

Instead you chose to say: “I have zero interest in contributing to Ansel, sorry. I don’t really understand what we’re going to get out of this anyway.”

Perhaps your normal is my unpleasant. I hope we can agree that both are equally clear. Please, feel free to spend your time however you see fit.

This is dishonest, and I don’t appreciate what you imply. The questions are the following:

• How do you find the value range of the chroma sliders in the 4-ways tab?
  • What are your average chroma values for global offset/shadows lift/highlights gain/power?

Everyone that runs any study/survey suspects that the results will probably go a certain way. Then the data comes in to prove/reject that hypothesis. I am as free to run a poll as you are not to take part in it, as are the devs to completely disregard its results.

I think this is enough, people will either take the survey or they won’t.

2 Likes