Comprehension of computer code relies primarily on domain-general executive...

This will interest FLOSS fans and devs alike. What happens in our brain when we read the source?

2 Likes

Interesting first forays into it. However they do need far greater sample size, different languages and different set of problems presented.

When I started an information science major program ca 1970 or '71, one of the first courses they required me to take was Linguistics. The material was interesting, but the professor was a pain in the ass.

You could write a research proposal. :nerd_face: What would you like to see specifically? This is a forum for discussion after all. :slight_smile:

A total bummer. A student is responsible for their own learning but when a teacher is a pain the education is greatly compromised.

1 Like

Yeah. I was lucky in that, for the only class in grad school I dropped (because the professors were HORRIBLE), one of the reasons I dropped it was because I was literally not getting anything I couldnā€™t get from the textbook. This was partly because the textbook was REALLY good and I routinely used it as a reference at one of my jobs until I loaned it to a coworker and it got lost.

Iā€™d consider python to be very readable language, so Iā€™d add at least one C-based language (curly braces and all) mainly because those are harder to read. Additionally the ā€œproblemā€ presented was majorly just well named variables with simple math and printing of result, so Iā€™d throw in at least 1 loop there and maybe 1 common basic data-structures stuff.

Good points. The author(s) did describe those limitations.

I wonder how many people would be interested in wearing MRI headgear while reading C code. :rofl: VR gaming I can understand.

In The Name Of Science we need pointer to pointer logic vs terrapin logo tests to reaffirm that computer science is not language arts.