Copy & Import failure

Hey experts,

Suddenly I’m struggling with copy&import command. It’s not working anymore and I don’t know why? Didn’t change anything, except a windows update.

If I press copy&import button I always receive “imported 0 images” (from external & internal harddrive). No new filmroll, no photos imported. See attached screenshot which settings I use.

Is there any possibility to read out a logfile for figuring out what happened?
Or is it a known bug?

I am using DT 3.8.0 on Windows 11 Home 64bit Version 21H2 build 22000.434. Did already uninstall and install again → didn’t work. Don’t know how to fully remove DT and even more what files (except photos) I should back up to keep my color labels, star ratings, specific crop ratios or my darkroom preset.

Any ideas what else I can do? Any advices welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Regards from Austria
Stephan

Hi and welcome.

I haven’t heard that we have a lot of people using windows 11 yet (though I could be wrong).

You can start windows from the terminal with path\to\darktable.exe -d all then try and do the copy & import and paste the output here.

Try to post the log after the -d all

I tested using a raw file instead of a jpg on Win11 21H2 build 22000.469 and DT 3.9.0+116~gc543d2cb2 and it all worked on my end.

Hey guys,

unfortunately I had no success starting darktable from command line :frowning: Still same behaviour & same “0 images imported” message.
Attached you will find the log you were asking for.

Regards & Thanks
Stephan
darktable-log.txt (1.3 MB)

Any ideas/approaches based on the logfile?

Step-by-step instructions:

Kofa, he posted the log 3days ago.

Witt, I’m not sure if this is the issue, but try this: replace the base directory naming from $(Pictures_folder)/Darktable with an actual directory/location (eg. C:\temp or C:\users…) . If you click the folder icon at the end, you can point to an actual folder.

Sorry, I got stuck at the part:

and didn’t check the log. Sorry about that.

The good news is that I can reproduce this locally on a Windows laptop. I’ll try and check.

May be related to https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/10934, where the $(YEAR) variable is not working.
The variable value (I mean $(PICTURE_FOLDER)) seems to be available elsewhere. E.g., adding it to the lighttable tooltip and overlay:

Produces:

And in the log I also have:

failed to create session path $(pictures_folder)\darktable\20220203_no_name.

Interestingly, here $(YEAR) and the rest are resolved properly (contrary to the issue mentioned above), that’s how we get 20220203. The $(JOBCODE) is also substituted correctly (no_name in the import job entry field).

To @wittmste : you might be better off doing file management with a file manager, and just import ‘in place’ (using add to library…), at least for now.

Opened issue: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/11051

1 Like

Works fine with ‘Windows Insider’ 3.9.0+192~gd535db9d8. → darktable windows insider program 1/30

Hey guys,

thanks for your helpful inputs!
I finally managed it with your hint @kofa (darktable windows insider program 1/30). Now import works as usal again. But I’d have never found the solution under that topic title :slight_smile:

@g-man: I also tested your hint, accidentally already with new version 3.9.0. installed. Yes it worked, but due to DT 3.9.0 version I can’t say if it also works for 3.8.0.

@kofa: one last question, is this version kind of an inofficial pre-release? If I open the about section, version information is kind a weird number 3.9.0+192… (see attached pic)

aboutDT

Regards & nice weekend
Stephan

It’s a weekly updated development build. It may be unstable and buggy. (Update: but many, including me, have been using the dev build for years, with few/no problems.)

ok got it, thanks!