Could be interesting to update the RT profiles?

Hi all,

thinking about the beginners.

What do you think?

Could be interesting to update the RT profiles?

For example:

• adding some basic “S” curces: Contrast +, Contrast++, etc

• And some new style profiles film-like as VSCO*, or Instagram, or even some cross process efects.

*I know, RT has the great “Film Simulation”, but I am thinking in something simple, with curves, with the blacks faded, for example.

I used to use ufraw a lot and still do at times thanks to it’s base curves. Those perform the same function as the curves built into cameras that are used to map the raw file into the jpg’s they produce. They added the facility because this style curve can actually be loaded into some nikon cameras. From memory stored on one of the flash cards on cameras that can take 2. So via ufraw the same facility is available for all cameras.

There is an example of the use of this style of curve on ufraw’s doc’s page. In this case the white wedding curve that brings out more details in whites. Another good one is the point and shoot curve. There were several others all from a site called fotogenic.dearingfilm which sadly has now disappeared.

I’d say that as this is in the most difficult area - fitting raw ev depth into screen ev depth beginners would find this pretty helpful providing a selection of curves are also supplied. I don’t think that either of rt’s curve panels work this way however. The don’t seem to have raw input bit depth on one axis.

Some people go to a lot of trouble to extract these curves files from Nikon’s own processing software so I assume other packages can use them.

The curves are still available on the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20050829133944/http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/downloads.html

Looking at that my assumption that one of ufraws curves axis is to raw bit depth seems to be incorrect.

John

I made these a while back:

They’re partial profiles, so you can apply them over your edits so far just to apply the tone+RGB curves. They’re a few nice simple film emulations that might be a nice start.

Edit
Also, @paperdigits went ahead and created a github repo of additional styles from the community here:

@Ajohn
Very interesting John, I will try to have a look more deeply, however I use Canon…

@patdavid
Yes Pat, I tried your curves a while ago. Great job!
For example, can they be included over a “default” preset or a “S” basic curve?