To get the same behaviour as DXO and DT, an additionnal state of tools should be added" open/closed" without modifying the gui
- when the tool menu is expanded, the tool is open. thus you can change all parameters
- when the tool menu is collapsed, the tool is closed
The activated/deactivated state remains as it is. as soon as you change a parameter, the tool is activated
so for crop tool:
- starting the tool: either open tool and change a parameter or click on crop icon (it opens and activate tool)
- once open and activated, the crop window and guides are displayed.
the crop window is moved by clicking on it (not shift-click)
- once happy with parameters if you let the tool open, crop is displayed as now
- if you close the tool, only the crop window is displayed without guides (it becomes the whole image). if you are on “fit whole image to screen” the cropped image is fully diplayed.
Thus “fit crop to screen” is no longer useful.
- if you deactivate tool then the whole image is displayed. You come back by reactivating tool.
I should say that for me, this logic is not better than that is done now by RT and really not worth modification.
I would much prefer that dev effort be applied on perspective tool.
To crop images I also use GIMP, Xnview , photobook SW and diaporama SW
As I mainly make paper photobooks or diaporamas, my experience shows that the way you crop is context dependant: you don’t crop a photo the same way for a page A3, a page A5, for a photo montage or for a diaporama view.