Crowdfunding Natron 3d Workspace

HI all.
My first time on this forum
I could find a way to raise probably $5000 pm for natron dev and maintenance - more if all goes well.
This would be funded from a project that would need natron support - as after effects doesn’t allow me to doe certain thing in a web server environment.
Where can i contact someone in regards to helping.
Who is in charge here?
You can mail me at fuse@molotovcocktail.tv

HI all.
My first time on this forum
I could find a way to raise probably $5000 pm for natron dev and maintenance - more if all goes well.
This would be funded from a project that would need natron support - as after effects doesn’t allow me to doe certain thing in a web server environment.
Where can i contact someone in regards to helping.
Who is in charge here?
You can mail me at fuse@molotovcocktail.tv

Maybe explain here and first, what you’re going to do for raising that amount of money.
Just curious. Others might want to know as well.

Ideally i would like to talk to a decision maker before i divulge anything.
If someone like that is here or if you could point me in the right direction that
would be great.
Thank you.

that would be Omar.

Thank you appreciated. I sent him a message.

1 Like

Qt for Python 5.12 (which is now the product name for Pyside 2) has been released end of 2018.

1 Like

Did you get any sort of reply back?

Not yet.

@nicroux: Sounds interesting.

The thing is that Natron needs developers in first place, then we can talk about how to collect money.

1 Like

+1
Devs and maintainers first…
Then we should set up a foundation like blender foundation. The foundation can manage development and funding.

Would it be possible to combine Natron with Blender developers?

Ton said that Blender’s Compositor also won’t have any updates in near future.
When it will I think it would be best to merge Natron development with Blender’s compositor in a unique environment because they’re not many developers for any of the project.

Unlikely because Natron’s codebase is completely different than Blender’s.

Unlikely and I wouldn’t suggest doing that. Blender needs to be its own software and so does natron.

Hi Frederic,

you write on the Natron page that a new maintainer is needed. What does this exactly means. How much money, or developers or what would be needed to get Natron further developed?

Cheers,
Martin
CEO 3D Maximal GmbH

2 Likes

I just imagine this: Blender as 3D software + Natron it’s standalone compositing software. The most powerful open source free combo ever for 3D and 2D.
I’d dump Blender’s compositor, and let Blender Foundation take care of Natron. I am a paying BlenderCloud user and will continue to do so as much as I can. I’d even pay a bit more if Natron would be under the same umbrella.

One day…after a few years within Natron software: File—>Send 3D setup to Blender and magically all the projection setup is sent to Blender and correctly put in 3D space. :slight_smile:

Natron could be Blender’s standalone most advanced compositing software. Completely separate to Blender, completely integrated with it.
A battle horse hard to beat.

I believe @devernay has a full time position and a full peaonal life. He’s been kind enough to stick around and answer questions.

What’s needed to get development going again are some developers. If you have money to pay a contractor or an internal employee to work on it, then even better. The code is there. Any sort of development would be helpful. We can direct anyone on what to work on if they don’t know.

2 Likes

Thoughts on Blender + Natron combo. Not having Natron inside Blender, but having Blender Foundation backing Natron and getting blender’s ecosystem behind it.
I think if Natron becomes Blender’s compositor, Blender needs one because the current one isn’t quite there, but Natron is. Nuke and commercial 3D software could have created their worst enemy lool.

I often see this idea that the Blender Foundation should “rescue” software and I’ve always wondered if it’s something that they actually do. So, I asked Ton Roosendal.

Screenshot%20from%202019-05-05%2018-34-51

I’ve provided a screenshot as I regularly delete my tweets but here’s link anyway. https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/1125055138715111425

Here’s some of the projects listed on the Blender website:
Open movie projects Open Projects — blender.org
Conference https://www.blender.org/conference/2018/
Blender cloud https://cloud.blender.org/welcome
Institute Blender Institute — blender.org
Courses and workshops https://cloud.blender.org/courses

There’s no mention of supporting other projects or other software directly.

You could submit your idea to the Right-Click Select website: Right-Click Select — Blender Community Developers have been known to look at that website

Or start a discussion on the Blender Artists forum. Search results for 'natron order:latest' - Blender Artists Community

2 Likes