darktable 3.0.0 released

I believe functions are same. I had issues rc1/2 crashing when using masks, but 3.0.0 is all smooth so far. Setting preferences on the notebook was tricky since the preferences GUI had the close button outside my screen.

For me, one of the very best GUI features of 3.0.0 is the module search - that’s a huge time saver for me.

Merci

There is e.g. the regression that colors are not correct on secondary monitor (issue #3619), what was ok in 2.6.

I’m struggling to find a 3.0.0 package for Ubuntu 18.04 (or for any Linux version, by the way, as I have found).

The SuSE open build service seems to offer a strange combination of versions:

Standard: 2.6.2
Stable: 2.6.3
Master: 3.1.0git~10.af8b11a17

I was able to install and run the 3.1.0git… version from the master branch on my Ubuntu 18.04. The new features seem to work fine, there is also a massive performance improvement in the lighttable.

Could anyone please confirm that this package is safe to use and that there are no unfinished / halfway changes for the upcoming 3.1 version.

I have also found that the pmdebruijn PPA is no longer maintained (last update was in May 2019).

I’m packaging darktable 3.0 in the OBS right now. Stay tuned.

5 Likes

see here:

I have seen that new RPM packages have been generated for SuSE but they are not yet available via the OBS directly.

On the other hand, the Ubuntu packages are still missing except for the master branch, where new packages are generated for every merge performed with the master branch.

I suspect that the OBS is configured in such a way that it automatically generates new packages for each merge into the master branch, while the stable and release versions remain stuck at 2.6.x. I think it’s worthwhile to check whether some configuration option in OBS has been missed that causes the packages to remain stuck at the old version.

I have tried to build darktable 3.0.0 from source but some critical packages such as LLVM version 8 are not available for Ubuntu 18.04.

We need to come to an understanding that it is the holiday season and many of the people who do work for us for free and to better the community are taking advantage of the holidays.

Yes stable is still 2.6. Yes it will be update in due time. Or you can figure out how to build it. But we have to relax and realize this is volunteer work.

@darix does one metric shit-ton of work for this community, but nobody really sees it… mostly because our stuff just keeps working. He’s the one that’s making it work.

10 Likes

I built it yesterday with GCC, Ubuntu 19.10. LLVM may be preferred, but it’s not critical…

1 Like

The submit request hasn’t been accepted yet.

LLVM 9 could also be installed from here: https://apt.llvm.org/

I have made a script for compiling DT 3.0 on Ubuntu 19.10.
The script creates a VM using multipass, installs loads of packages in the VM and finally compiles DT 3.0.

A “darktable --version” gives this:
this is darktable 3.0.0
copyright (c) 2009-2019 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
bit depth is 64 bit
normal build
SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
OpenMP support enabled
OpenCL support enabled
Lua support enabled, API version 5.0.2
Colord support enabled
gPhoto2 support enabled
GraphicsMagick support enabled
OpenEXR support enabled

I have put the script on Github - feel free to use and improve :slight_smile:

The script is here: GitHub - per2jensen/dt-on-ubuntu: Darktable on Ubuntu, how to compile DT on a specific Ubuntu version

3 Likes

29th Dec 2019,

Ubuntu update has
3.0.0-0dhor~bionic
from
http://ppa.launchpad.net/dhor/myway/ubuntu
which seems to run fine.

1 Like

On a bit of a side note, I still can’t find a donations link on the darktable website. Is there any way to donate? Yes it’s that time of the year again. :wink:

1 Like

https://www.paypal.me/Aurelienpierre from Got an image problem ? Go see the image doctor.

1 Like

Is it feasible to build Darktable 3 on Ubuntu 16.04?

I’d like to build from source so I can fiddle with and (eventually) contribute to Darktable (plus I’m very exited about v3 and there’s no way to get it for 16.04 that I’ve found yet) but I’m not ready to do a version upgrade of Ubuntu.

I’ve been working on building Darktable it but I keep running into dependencies with insufficient versions and currently I’m stuck on GTK3 (Darktable 3 seems to requires v3.22, but apparently installing that version from the gnome3-team ppa will break Ubuntu 16.04).

The Darktable website says the master branch is not available for versions of Ubuntu less then 18.04 “because of missing required packages in older distributions”. Is there any workaround for Ubuntu 16.04?

@Francis welcome! So far as I’m aware, you can’t build darktable on 16.04 using just ubuntu’s native packages.

You can:

• Build it in a snap package
  • install the nix package manager and get it from there. I did this yesterday on 18.04
  • probably build it using docker or lxc with newer versions of ubuntu

Thanks for your prompt reply — and for the suggestion of the nix package manager!
I am extremely happy to report that I have successfully installed (though not built) dt3 on Ubuntu 16.04 and am now exploring the new possibilities!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this splendid update of this already wonderful program!

I started development of my hack software on 16.04, and found myself compiling my own versions of the image format libraries because the distro versions were hobbled in some regard. It was a PITA to upgrade, but it made my development life a lot easier. If you’re going to develop, you should probably slog your way through and upgrade, on at least one machine…

no it is not. gtk3 is too old. you have to use snap/appimage or upgrade.

1 Like