darktable 3.0.0rc0 released

I`ve just installed the Windows 10 RC and have the same problems. With 2.6.x and 2.7 builds (don’t know the exact build number) everything was working fine. I will try to uninstall the RC and delete all possible leftovers and do a fresh install and eventually file a bug report on github

Just a minor comment about communicating about the pipeline ordering:

From dpreview:

[…] plus support for reordering modules.

The way it is written in dpreview I would wager to say they didn’t get the pixel-pipe part. In any future public release, I would write it “technically” in all places, i.e. something like “The processing pipeline can be reordered by moving modules with Ctrl+Shift+drag.”. I’d expect confusion even then, but with the current wording I am quite sure that there will be lots of confusion around this (people using it as a GUI reordering feature to adjust stuff to their workflow).

A fresh install has not changed anything. I submitted an issue on github

Yep. I had no problems using the unofficial 2.7 Windows builds. Thanks for submitting an issue on GitHub.

Huge Kudos to all the devs. Testing on Ubuntu 19.10, the performance improvements in the lighttable are amazing, I typically cull a few thousand shots per session and the change in responsiveness is incredible, feels like 2X to 3X. No issues so far.
Hats off to the culling mode devs, I have been waiting for synchronized pan and zoom for many years and this implementation totally exceeded my old reference point (aftershot, if anyone remembers back when aftershot was a thing).

Not sure if openCL optimizations in 3.0 are part of the improvement but the darktable feels snappier as well.

Wondering if there is any documentation on module subsets and worspaces yet

It seems that overexposed parts of image after export to file using linear prophoto RGB are pink, even when they are white on the screen before export. Is this intended?

So once again I’m still surprised by the speed of everything in this release, also in darkroom mode; switching for example from one photo to the next (shift-arrow) which was previously slow, now it’s instantaneous!

However I do see something strange and want to understand if other people experience the same: it seems like a graphical glitch, occasional flashes on the screen after changing some modules in darkroom mode.

We’ve reworked the internal locking and this could certainly explain that.

I think I encountered that problem with a 2.7 dev version. There might be something wrong with the ProPhoto RGB profile shipped with dt because when I used my own ProPhoto RGB profile it rendered OK. I think it worked fine with the Rec2020.

Thank you for the confirmation and info. I will report it on github.

Two questions:

How do I avoid using the auto-generated tarball if downloading to Windows, as suggested?

Ans what about this “Is anyone having problems with the Windows build? I installed it on a Windows 10 machine and I’m unable to resize the window of the program and there are some other UI glitches, too”.

In fact, when I tried pressing the Windows link from the Install page on the website, it dowlnaloded 2.6, which I already have…

HELP! I feel a bit guilty asking for help, but I am a total and utter tech-novice, much hand-holding will be needed…

Meanwhile there is more news coverage:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Darktable-3.0-RC0-Released

Oh dear, I’ve just looked at what Github entails (I’m assuming I need it to download, am I right?) and I am QUAKING!

Might it be better to wait until the Install button on the darktable site gives me the latest version?

Hope that doesn’t sound too stupid.

Github lists the installers under “assets,” all the way at the bottom: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/download/release-3.0.0rc0/darktable-3.0.0rc0-win64.exe

Well. Sadly this reminded me that Christmas is really close again. Another year has passed… time flies…

1 Like

Mica, thanks…clicked on it and Windows Defender blocked it :frowning:

Is that Defender just being over-cautious? It was quite happy when I downloaded the ealrier version through the link on the Darktable website.

What should I do?

I kown this is all everyday stuff to you Linuxy types but it worries and confuses me!

PS I know I’m slightly trying to have my cake and eat it by enjoying the AMAZING effort put into free stuff like DT but also relying on the internet ready-meal Microsoft offers…

If you’re confused, I would just wait for the stable release.

Thnaks, stable sounds good for a numpty like me. How long do they typically take to come through?

It’ll be released around Christmas time. This is a pre-release version.

It is probably because the installer is not signed. Probably the final release will have that fixed, since this is a pre-realease.