darktable 3.0.0rc2 released

Thank You so much :slight_smile:

@Pascal_Obry Great work Pascal…I wonder if the release notes section I will quote below should also explain the new history stack…I think there are going to be a million questions around that and I believe many of the changes were to accommodate the fact that the pixel pipeline is now configurable and this helps keep the xmp synced correctly??.. I think you will be flooded at least at first with questions about why all the “new” modules are showing in the history… Just my thought
"“The processing order of the pixel-pipe can now be changed by using Ctrl+Shift+drag on the module headers to arrange them relative to each other. It is VERY IMPORTANT to understand that this feature is NOT for creating a more convenient GUI layout, but for changing the actual processing of the image. DO NOT USE THIS FEATURE unless you understand the reason behind the default ordering, and have a specific reason for changing it. The default order is still the correct order for most purposes.”

@priort: I have added some notes about the history stack even though I don’t think many people pay attentions to those release notes :slight_smile:

Hey thanks….just trying to avoid you getting bombarded by questions…In various places I have seen people asking/complaining…I have seen the release notes posted a few times as well……lets hope this
time they do read it and or take the time to understand a bit before complaining….

I was a user of light room. But after finding this great product. I dropped lightroom. First of all thanks every one who created such a huge product. new color zones modification. Man loved it. Waiting for the new release. Also who ever watched my youtube channel axiomgraph am the man behind it. As new release arrives i will start creating more tutorials in english as well as my native language … from kerala,india again thanks… Now you know why I never used my voice on videos (am not that good at speaking english):blush:

1 Like

I’m currently playing with rc2 on an Ubuntu VM but it’s very different to 2.6. Is there an early draft of the updated user manual available, or should we wait for the release? I did try compiling the manual from the git project but I couldn’t see any difference from the 2.6 version.

Filmic RGB
Currently there is a video series about the filmic module from @anon41087856

To handle dynamic range he mentions a process in one of his videos:

• adjust midtones using the exposure module (ignoring all clipped highlights)
  • open filmic RGB with settings:
    – contrast = 1 (in “look” tab)
    – middle grey luminance = 18.45% (in “scene” tab)
  • increase “black relative exposure”
  • decrease “white relative exposure”
  • increase contrast in “look” tab
  • activate “local contrast” module
  • activate “haze removal” module

I did a short screen recording in this posting:

And I applied this process to this PlayRAW

Tone equalizer and other new features
@Rico did a video about new features in dt 3.0:

1 Like

Thanks @pphoto. I’ve been gradually working my way through @anon41087856’s videos and am finding them very useful. I’ll take a look at the others you’ve suggested and perhaps make some notes for myself for now. Just wondered if there was any WIP documentation.

Cranks up git and downloads code. Build follows shortly
Congrats to darktable team

for what are you building?

Since I have local repo, it is easier to download diffs and I used to build programs which I’m using.
If you wanted to know what Linux I am using (what system is target) it is some Mint based on Ubuntu.

was just curious if we missed a distro that we could have supported. but your distro is covered by the packages that we have.

Kind of Gentoo approach, build it for distro on distro and for hardware which you are using. Also build is uncomplicated and anybody who wants can build it (unlike GIMP).

Everyone is invited to improve it! Writing documentation is something developers don’t like, but also documentation written by developers is often very technical. So please help to improve it.

Thank you, darktable developers! Great to see a new annual release on the horizon. I appreciate your work very much!

I tested the Windows version of RC2 and found that the retouch modul seemed to work but didn‘t show any result. Anyone got the same problem?
Kind regards

No, I use the retouch module very often in RC2. Maybe it’s an opacity issue. I found out that the healing and clone tools did not remove spots completely and opened a bug. But finally it was the mask opacity that wasn’t set to 100% by default.

Is there a tentative release date for darktable 3.0? I have read about the new features which all sound awesome but I do not wish to play with the release candidate versions. I am just curious and am eagerly awaiting for the release date. I can tell that a lot of work has gone into the new version and I am most thankful of the work done by the developing team.

Around Christmas day usually, but… Whenever it is ready.

@Pascal_Obry
Our @wpferguson just created example scripts for the new Lua functions in dt. Perhaps you can add that to the release notes:

examples/darkroom_demo.lua
examples/lighttable_demo.lua
examples/panels_demo.lua

You can use the rc without hesitation; its quite stable and there won‘t be big changes since feature freeze was in october.