darktable 3.0 for dummies (in 3 modules)

I’m happy to take a look. I thought @anon41087856 was working on it and didn’t want to interfere.

Hello
I have a question here. Is it safe and okay to reduce the dynamic range scaling to keep the histogram from clipping ? I mean when the dynamic range is wider/larger then the histogram (sorry for the dummie-explanation). This what is often needed the way I use Filmic for now. I admit I don’t use the colour pickers though.
Willing to learn here.

I want to say after fiddling around with the new workflow, watching the videos and following the topics here, dt 3.0 is a huge step forward. Thanks !!!
@anon41087856

Thanks in advance

Are you talking about this article:
https://darktable.fr/2020/01/darktable-3-rgb-ou-lab-quels-modules-au-secours/

It gives a really good description of the various modules in DT3.0 (malgré que mon français ne soit pas si bon…)

1 Like

How about making this into an article?

3 Likes

it’s present in English in here: darktable 3: RGB or Lab? Which modules? Help! - HackMD
It would do well if it was pixls.us article some day.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it “darktable for dummies” but a series of guides focused on common topics, including one on the first steps using the tool. It’s something that could complement the current documentation, which is very thorough and detailed but it’s more on the descriptive side.

This is something I find very often in programming tools and platforms (I’m software engineer on working hours): the full blown documentation with all the details going hand in hand with guides that help you navigate through them.

Thank you Aurélien!
I think this kind of tutorials/ showcases is exactly what a lot of us need to get up to speed and gain confidence in the power of DT3 and the new workflow capabilities! Really appreciate your great work!
Cheers, Martin

3 Likes

Please don’t, if someone even needs to have an introductory documentary put in front of their nose, then darktable is rather not for them.
At least a darktable user should be able to search for a corresponding documentary on the website and then find it …

5 Likes

Like I said it might be a daft idea! Would be good if this is tutorial was in an obvious place as it gives people a good starting point. They can then explore the other documentation later as they get into it.

1 Like

Ok so I’ve done a couple of passes now of the article and I’ve hopefully managed to improve on the translation and made some of the English read better. However, without being able to read the original French there is a possibility I’ve skewed some of the original meaning. I’ve put some question marks in brackets “(?)” where the translation is unclear (mostly names of darktable modules, parameters and blend modes).

I’ve also reluctantly (because I’m British) standardised the spelling of ‘colour/color’ to the American spelling, mainly because that’s how it’s spelled in the actual darktable modules.

Also, there’s a darktable screenshot (for the ‘more modules’ preset) which for some reason I’m having trouble taking on my own system.

Oh and BTW that was my first read of this article and I learned a great deal from it. Thanks, yet again @anon41087856.

3 Likes

I will do the last pass on it, don’t worry.

3 Likes

@elstoc Your effort is appreciated. (I know enough French to understand the original article but don’t have the time to help with the translation effort.) Regarding the (?)s, certain terms are correct (the Orton effect) while others require clarification (adoucissement is probably feather* or blur* not soften*).

I assumed that ‘Orton effect’ was probably a correct term but it’s used as a module name in places and I couldn’t find a module with that name so I wanted to check whether this was correct in that context.

Edit: a quick google got it - it’s the soften module

I wish I could get the same result. Following your steps, the resulting image (using your .nef file), looks very washed out and over exposed. Unless it’s something to do with input colour profile / base curve?

Base curve should be switched off.

1 Like

@elstoc, thank you! I tried that, and it certainly improved things. It looks like I’ve a lot of reading to do, to get used to the new way of doing things in Darktable 3.0! :slight_smile:

There’s an option stop base curve and sharpen being auto-applied to your images in the preferences. If you’re using filmic rgb workflow you don’t need either of these modules.

1 Like

You are the hero we need!

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to take that :grinning:

Grammar and consistency is a good thing!

2 Likes