darktable 3.2 will be released in August

That is awesome! I have built some PRs to try them out, but I don’t want to switch my main library over to a dev version.
I am very impressed with FilmicV4, the new channel mixer and the UI changes and can’t wait to incorporate those in my workflow. Hearing that Christmas is in August this year has just made my day!

2 Likes

And the UI polish is not over. 2 PR are waiting (that I test them and check what’s needed to tweak on CSS). Added on that, that I also have (already) little things polished on my side and will be proposed after testing and confirm 2 cited PR. Thanks to @AlicVB and @Mark-64 works.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you - my main library is still on a version somewhere between 3.0 and 3.2 (before some of the more major rewrites in 3.2). But you can run multiple versions at the same time (I’m running three at the moment). So run a few edits through the new version if you are able.

1 Like

That’s what I do. I have a set of ‘difficult’ pictures that I use for testing different software. They are mostly mixed lighting pictures where half is natural/flash and a part is blue led light. So far my best results were with cough Lightroom cough, and I absolutely hate that I can’t explain why, nor reproduce it in darktable. The new filmic and channel mixer are amazing though. I might start a PlayRaw for new ideas soon.

I am using current git master. I experienced regular crashes some time ago but not during the last two weeks or so. Not sure what the reason for the carshes was. Anyway, I have the impression that git master is already surprisingly stable. I’d say git master is even more stable and less buggy than 3.0 in December.

4 Likes

Looking forward to the next version. Is there a way to set up a test environment without disturbing a production system? Can anyone post a link to directions?

If you launch darktable with --configdir <somewhere else than your normal config> It makes a new library and data db without disturbing your production library. Then disable writing xmp sidecars in settings or darktablerc and you should be good to go.

3 Likes

Thanks!

You can also have two versions of the darktable application running side-by-side if you’re building from source, by telling the build script where to install it:

./build.sh --prefix /path/to/install/to

Then after building and installing, run it with

/path/to/install/to/bin/darktable --configdir "/path/to/config/dir"

My three versions all currently run from subdirectories within my home directory so that they don’t conflict with the stable version installed by my distro.

3 Likes

There are also packages for master on Install package graphics:darktable:master / darktable

4 Likes

And AUR (en) - darktable-git

the OBS could build Arch linux too … :slight_smile: as you can see here Show network:messaging:xmpp:dino / dino - openSUSE Build Service

Could you build an appimage in OBS too ? (Pleeeeeaaaase :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

No secret : we have more devs than ever and they got more time than ever in the past 2 months. A lot of stuff got fixed lately.

8 Likes

So the OBS supports AppImage:

But no I wont package it.

If you want to see more of the goodies coming in 3.2, the current draft of the release note (which is also not yet complete ) is here: darktable/RELEASE_NOTES.md at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

2 Likes

Exciting news! Will image doctor be ready?

No, there is a lot of work ahead to finish image doctor into something not-awfully-slow.

2 Likes

I have completed the project home Readme with many elements about how to compile and run an unstable test version alongside a stable one.

4 Likes

Will there be a branch tracking the proposed 3.2 version to test independently of master, maybe once there is a ‘feature freeze’?

1 Like