darktable 3.2 will be released in August

Exciting news! Will image doctor be ready?

No, there is a lot of work ahead to finish image doctor into something not-awfully-slow.

2 Likes

I have completed the project home Readme with many elements about how to compile and run an unstable test version alongside a stable one.

4 Likes

Will there be a branch tracking the proposed 3.2 version to test independently of master, maybe once there is a ā€˜feature freezeā€™?

1 Like

Iā€™m really looking forward to the 3.2 release!
Keep up the good work coders :slight_smile:

I think the way this works is that the maintainers just hold off merging anything destined for 3.4 until after 3.2 has been released - so master and 3.2 will be identical at the point that 3.2 is released. Then a separate branch is created for the 3.2.x bug fix releases and the 3.4 stuff is merged to master.

1 Like

Thanks. It would be great if one of the maintainers could confirm this. Iā€™d like to test/use this version but Iā€™d prefer not to end up with editions incompatible with 3.2 once itā€™s released.

I think thereā€™s always some danger of that with testing an unstable version. For safety you might be better testing in a separate installation with a separate database. There are some brief instructions earlier in this thread but @anon41087856 has recently updated the main darktable github page with more detailed instructions for doing this.

1 Like

A great thing to make available with a future release is the addition of being able to export LUTS. Right now, we can only ā€œexportā€ styles and import LUTS. How awesome would it be if we could create our own LUTs, export them, make them available for everyone and interchangeable with other programs. That way darktable will be more accessible to the public.

You can create your own luts outside of darktable.

there a thread on this at 3dLUT import and Export Feature Ā· Issue #4166 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub
you can do it already in three steps:
Just save your edit as a style, apply it to a haldclut png and then use this to convert it into the lut format you need ā€¦
but it doesnā€™t make sense if more than just plain color- or toneadjustments were made

2 Likes

There is a PR, Add an exporthaldcut lighttable module, submitted against the darktable lua-scripts repository. It takes a style and creates a LUT from it and stores it with the existing LUTs. The script just needs a few finishing touches prior to merging.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the thing, 99% of the users arenā€™t developers or know how to code. Including myself. On top of that, I donā€™t have the time to learn it nor the desire to due to the way my life is organized right now :wink:. Iā€™m talking about something that works ā€œstraight out of the boxā€. A simple: ā€œExport style as .cube fileā€ for instance. Something that is accessible for the mass.

So as much as I appreciate the answers, they are not the answer to my request.

1 Like

Life is all about learning and discovering new things :wink:
Since there isnā€™t any activity on the mentioned pull request you might need a lot of patience otherwise ā€¦

The author is back in school, so it may be a little while until he gets to it.

You donā€™t have to be a developer or know how to code to use the lua scripts. The lua scripts are to darktable what plug-ins are to lightroom.

Letā€™s say youā€™ve edited an image in darktable and need to take it to GIMP to finish it. Thereā€™s a lua scrpt for that. If you have it enabled, you select the image in lighttable, then go to the exporter and select ā€˜Edit with GIMPā€™. You export it, GIMP starts and imports the image. You finish your edit, overwrite the file, and exit. The edited file is automatically imported into darktable and grouped with the original image.

Do you want to stitch a panorama in hugin? Thereā€™s a script for that. Combine images into an HDR? Thereā€™s several scripts for that. Automatically sharpen an image after itā€™s exported? You guessed it, thereā€™s a script for that.

And, if youā€™re looking for subjects for darktable videos, thereā€™s 40+ scripts in the official and contrib sections.

You can check out darktable lua-scripts repository for more information.

5 Likes

From reading these forums, Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s true! darktable probably has a higher dev to non-dev ratio than any piece of non-dev software I use.

2 Likes

You can create LUTs from any editing program with a few clicks using a LUT generator. Itā€™s like falling off a log, no knowledge of coding required.

1 Like

The exporthaldclut script is coming soonā„¢. Since there seems to be a good bit of interest in it Iā€™ll do my best to prioritise it!

6 Likes

Thatā€™s because these forums are used by devs to communicate too, whereas most forums are users only and devs communicate elsewhere.

What you see is not what you get.

7 Likes