darktable 3.4.0 released

Thanks @christoph! That was indeed the error – I’m on Ubuntu 20.10 and back when I installed evreything I was on 20.04 so i added the wrong repository… Apologies for the stupid mistake and thanks again!

1 Like

Great. I’m glad I didn’t do any mistake with Debian.

1 Like

I took over the maintainer-ship in the OBS and prepared the package update 2 days before the release.

I need some help with the Debian/Ubuntu packages. I would like to turn on AVIF support if that is possible and libavif is built with encoder support …

If someone wants to help, please contact me.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, this version is a big step for the new workflow :slight_smile:
Merry Christmas

Thank you so much for another Christmas gift. What is really the game changer for me in this release is its performance. My 100% zoom as well as exports are significantly faster (probably due to some modules’ optimization, i.e. denoise profiled, haze removal).

Regarding Groups, whatever some people may say, I like the new idea and prefer it much better to the previous way of presenting modules. Also the dynamic range mapping view in Filmic is a nice enhancement, even though not impacting the image but giving us more understanding what is going on. I know that there are much more important changes, but this is just a quick feedback after 30min of playing with the new version. Still, it gave me enough satisfaction to write about it.

I take this opportunity to ask some questions and would be grateful if somebody could spare time answering.

• in history stack (just after opening a file in scene referred mode) Exposure comes after Filmic, but in active modules list it is presented as being after. I believe that the latter is correct, isn’t it?
  • my GX80/GX85 camera is not found by lens correction module, but my lens is. Should I somehow update the camera base (I am running Ubuntu 20.04, just moved from Windows where the camera had been found with no issue)
  • when setting auto-applying chromatic adaptation defaults as modern and importing an image, both White Balance and Color Calibration are used. My impression was that CC was to replace WB. Probably I need to watch the video posted by Aurelien to better comprehend it.

Happy after-X-mas for everybody.

Hi,

I’ll try to answer to the best of My knowledge:

History/active modules:
The history stack shows the order in wich the the modules were applied. The active modules show their place in the pipeline. Both are correct.

Camera not found:
Try
sudo apt-get install liblensfun-bin
then
sudo lensfun–update-data

White balance/CC:
Yeah, CC Linda replaces wb, but wb is still needed to do a rough wb in order for some modules early in the pipeline to work properly.

Regards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Linda -/kinda

Looking forward to the release on the Manjaro side of things.
Have it running on my Mac, looks great.

Thanks for the holiday gift dev’s, best wishes for a happy healthy new year!

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding history stack, I know that it shows the modules in the order in which they were applied. However, the curious thing is that those were automatically applied when loading an image, so one would assume that it was done in the same order as they are used.

It’s related to the order in which the darktable code adds them to the history stack. I wouldn’t read too much into the order here.

Appreciate the heads up; a bit late due to being extremely busy with work et. al. :slight_smile:

Why when automatically applying scene-referred mode, Demosaic is not set to AMAZE, but to PPG?

Demosaic algorithms are not tied to workflows, so you can use whichever you want. For Bayer sensors PPG is the default, but can make a preset.

I have asked because I remember hearing that Amaze goes better with Filmic. Do not remember who mentioned it, probably Aurelien.

1 Like

I got feedback from one of my readers that he installed this on a chromebook in the virutal linux and could not switch language to German.
Anyone else having those issues with flatpak?

Currently; I’m running Darktable 3.4.0 as Flatpak App using French Locale on Linux Mint 20 without trouble

After playing a bit more with dt 3.4, I have a feeling that scene-referred workflow gives me a bit different results than in 3.2.1 with the same settings. More contrast, more saturation. There was no change in Filmic between the two, so how is that possible?

I suspect I made the wrong choice in not uninstalling the earlier version, because the program regularly failed to load properly on each first instance following a system reboot. I therefore backed up the database, uninstalled/reinstalled, overwrote the new database with my old one, and the program now starts properly every time.

Is that correct? It seems to me that the contrast now defaults at 1.35 and the latitude at 25%, whereas if my memory serves me correctly these used to be 1.50 and 33%.

First of all I would like to say thanks for everything!
Second… Please guys! What do you need to add support to Panasonic GF10/GX880?
We already sent a lot of RAW2 files to you. :confused: