darktable 3.4.1 released

We’re proud to announce the new feature release of darktable, 3.4.1!

The github release is here: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-3.4.1.

As always, please don’t use the autogenerated tarball provided by github, but only our tar.xz. the checksums are:

$ sha256sum darktable-3.4.1.tar.xz
7fc3f851da9bcd7c5053ecd09f21aa3eb6103be98a6c58f52010b6f22174941e darktable-3.4.1.tar.xz
$ sha256sum darktable-3.4.1.dmg
e13112ed1d5f9c55e5287aa9d7276f04b90909b2e356640f36227a0a53321658 darktable-3.4.1.dmg
$ sha256sum darktable-3.4.1-win64.exe
94f6f0999378a541b25bd030838b508882d2bace86a95c898a30ca32c406c3f8 darktable-3.4.1-win64.exe

When updating from the currently stable 3.2.x series, please bear in mind that your edits will be preserved during this process, but the new library and configuration will not be usable with 3.2.x any more, so you are strongly advised to take a backup first.

Important note: to make sure that darktable can keep on supporting the raw file format for your camera, please read this post on how/what raw samples you can contribute to ensure that we have the full raw sample set for your camera under CC0 license!
  • Almost 100 commits to darktable+rawspeed since 3.4
  • 25 pull requests handled
  • 18 issues closed

The Big Ones

None

New Features And Changes

• Faster thumbnail generation during import.

• Some minor CSS improvements.

Bug fixes

• Fix color correction RGB handling and saturation normalization.

• Fix smooth scrolling on MacOS.

• Fix Lr metadata import, this is done only if no other XMP present.

• Fix metadata export which must be done only if the corresponding setting is activated.

• Fix combo-box popup scrolling.

• Properly restore collection hinter messages when needed.

• Fix stars display in overlay.

• Fix black point setting when dragging the histogram.

• Fix help links for technical group module.

• Properly discriminate cameras with the same prefix in collect module.

• Fix bold rendering on Windows (for selected presets for example).

• Fix support of Windows PATH to configuration and libraries when the path name contains non ASCII characters.

• Properly hide the selected tag tick when a tag is not selected anymore.

• Fix search on collect module for multiple filename separated with coma.

• Fix size of clipping handle when preview down-sampling is activated.

• Fix metadata comment reading from exif.

• Fix a case where the thumbnail could be out of synchronization with the darkroom edit.

• Never show filmstrip cursor on selected image on other views.

• Skip possible null dates on the collect module which could then crash darktable.

• Fix waveform histogram rendering on MacOS.

• Fix some memory leaks.

Notes

Lua

Changed Dependencies

RawSpeed changes

Camera support, compared to 3.4.0

White Balance Presets

• Fujifilm X-Pro3
  • Fujifilm X100V
  • Olympus E-M10 Mark IV

Noise Profiles

• Canon EOS 1500D
  • Canon EOS 2000D
  • Canon EOS Rebel T7
  • Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Fujifilm X-Pro3
  • Fujifilm XF10
  • Nikon Z 5
  • Panasonic DC-S1R
  • Pentax K-1 Mark II
  • Sony DSC-RX10M4

Translations

• Afrikaans
  • Czech
  • German
  • European Spanish
  • Finnish
  • French
  • Hebrew
  • Hungarian
  • Italian
  • Polish
  • Brazilian Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Slovak
  • Slovenian

Share this on: Twitter | Facebook

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2021/02/darktable-341-released/
12 Likes

I’ve just installed it (I’ve got a mac, MacOs Catalina 10.15.7) and in the tone curve section I don’t see any line, the grey square is empty, and I don’t even see the histogram… the rectangle is all grey… Does anyone know the reason of this problem and how to solve it?

Try going into preferences > general and un-ticking the “modify selected theme with CSS tweaks below” box.

2 Likes

I did what you suggested and it worked! Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Did anything change to the denoise (profiled) module? i have the impression that on some pictures. with out of the box settings (with the profile for my Nikon 5200), it blurs the image a little bit, which it didn’t use to do. I especially notice it in landscapes with dense bushes in the background

Denosing has been reworked recently. Its covered in the release notes and blog post.

I’m not talking about the changes in 3.4.0 - they where clearly an improvement. In 3.4.1, profiled denoise seems to add a bit of blur with settings that wouldn’t have before.

Taking into account that the pandemia is still with us, can we hope (like in 2020) to have a new dt version both in the middle and at the end of the year?

It will not be because pandemic, but yes, it has been set that now darktable will have 2 releases per year. If of course, we have enough new features for that. 3.6 will be out early july.

Hello. This new version is not updating changes to photos. I edit a photo, but when I export to jpg the changes done in darktable do not apply to exported. Anyone else with this issue? Thanks.

Welcome, Artur.
Sorry if I sound too obvious, but are you sure you’re looking at the exported, not the out-of-camera jpg?
By default, darktable saves the exported files into a darktable exported folder (it creates it if it doesn’t exist) inside the folder you imported. So, if you imported images from folder \raws, the exported files will be inside \raws\darktable exported.
Just in case, take a look at “Exporting images” in the darktable usermanual
and
“Export selected” in the darktable usermanual

1 Like

Thanks. No, not that. I have that setting changed, so all exports come to my home directory (i’m using Linux version). Also I’ve noticed this only happens with photos previously edited in Darktable. New photos not affected (with existing xml files. Even if I delete the xml file, behaviour is the same. Quite strange.

Well, now I don’t have a clue.
To start eliminating possible causes, you could rename your ~/.config/darktable folder to something else (after exiting darktable).
Then start darktable again. This will make it start from fresh, no existing library, no nothing.
Then import the problematic images and try exporting them.
This is safe, your current library will be inside the renamed folder, which you can rename back to ~/darktable anytime you wish.
EDIT: Any chance you’re executing more than one darktable version using the same library?