darktable 3.6.0 released

Would have been nice if they’d supplied their own images instead of taking them directly from the blog without attribution, but still, nice to have positive publicity.

1 Like

I think we’re better off with screenshots made and photos developed by knowledgeable people than if they’d supplied their own after a 2-minute trial run. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You’re right but all of the images (including @paperdigits’ photograph at the top of the post) are licensed CC-BY-NC-SA and technically they’ve broken every term of that license. Not something we’ll make a big fuss over (especially for the screenshots) but it’s a bit lazy.

I guess they’re used to being given promotional materials by companies for the purpose of product announcement articles, where this is not a question (I mean the licence to use the images is granted by the companies, since they want the media to use them).

But they still claim copyright over everything, which is wrong in our case and wrong with promotional materials as well.

PS, the user HowaboutRAW is just absolutely useless.

Agree - on both accounts. :smiley:

Darktable 3.6 marks a significant change for me. 3.2 had potential, but I also found it more difficult than before. 3.4 had me so annoyed that I switched to Capture One. But 3.6 seems to have drawn me back.

I don’t quite understand that, yet. Something about the highlights rendering in Filmic felt very wrong to me. Something about the color preservation modes was extremely frustrating. Somehow my colors looked subtly wrong too often for comfort.

I don’t know what changed exactly in 3.6, but I am no longer annoyed at its rendering. In fact, color rendering is now my main motivation to come back from Capture One: C1 likes to twist highlight hues into primaries before desaturating to white. So bright skin becomes yellow, and skies cyan. And the pre-baked shadows/highlights and Clarity/Texture sliders leave me wanting for more control.

So anyway, I’m glad to be back. I’ve missed Darktable. (I actually waited a few weeks after release to post this, lest it turn out a temporary fluke. But it seems to stick. Weird how I can’t quite explain why)

I suspect that the major change for you is probably that filmic’s middle-tone saturation slider is now set to 0 by default. Plus maybe the new “safe” mode for the shadows/highlights contrast settings?

1 Like