Darktable and the .CR3

Hi everyone.

Can someone explain to me why Rawtherapee supports .cr3 files and Darktable does not?

Thanks in advance.

RawTherapee uses code adapted from dcraw/libraw. Darktable uses a different library (rawspeed) which does not yet support decoding CR3 files.

Edit: in the meantime, you can use third party tools to convert your files to eg TIFF or DNG and edit them in Darktable.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Any idea when it will support it?

Can you tell me which linux programs convert cr3 files to dng files?

Thanks.

use free adobe converter to convert cr3 to dng (needs to use wine).

the “when” part is very dependent on developer’s resources.

See :

2 Likes

Thank you both for the clarifications and a special thanks to you, Aurélien Pierre, and to the whole community of developers who have been building such a useful, beautiful and pleasant program to use. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I already installed Adobe DNG Converter and apparently everything is working fine. For those who are seeing this and don’t know how to install it here is the installation link: How to convert raw formats to DNG - RawPedia

What settings do you use when converting to DNG? I am trying it out and having some issues.

I’m using the default settings of Adobe DNG Converter.

1 Like

It seems that the link for downloading Adobe DNG changed. Here is the new one:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Cr3 support is on the go.
There are preliminary versions if DT with cr3 support.
You can find a post in this forum for downloadi g it for windows.

1 Like

Great news!

How can I get it to work under Linux? By installing the development version?

Thanks.

you need to make sure you’re using exiv2 0.27.4 or later with bmff enabled, update the rawspeed stuff in src/external and integrate pull request #271 or use the rawspeed fork at GitHub - cytrinox/rawspeed at canon_cr3

or get https://github.com/MStraeten/darktable.git - thats the base for my osx & windows builds of current master + cr3

1 Like

I will try it. Thanks!

Just found out: Darktable with CR3 support is also available in the AUR.

1 Like