Darktable for Kubuntu

I can’t seem to get the latest version of Darktable (3.8.1) to install on Kubuntu. Any tips?

Use the version from the OBS repo or the flatpak. Ubuntu’s default repos are rarely up to date.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

For even better experience (read: performance), build a custom-optimised version from the source. You can choose to build the tagged version 3.8.1, or from the master branch (so you always get the latest features before the release, but accept that you use experimental code – many of us do, without serious issues).

1 Like

Agreed, the only difficulty is going back to a released version with edits that use modules/features in master.

I would add a caveat to this: although building can give you more performance, it may not be true for some particular OS/CPU/GPU configuration. But one can always try it and see if compiling is worth it against the ‘convenience’ of the repo (I tested it last week and performance was identical to the OBS build on my 5 year old notebook).

Thanks guys. The flatpak suggestion was the easiest. Have it up and running. I really appreciate the tips and comments.

2 Likes

Yes. And, in other cases, the differences are huge.

1 Like