Darktable freeze while loading D7500 .nef files

I’m no expert but I use Win 11 and to run darktable with command line options I use a desktop shortcut and add the suffix -d perf or whatever on the very end of the target line. (in the screenshot below I haven’t added it).
Then after running (and crashing :wink:) darktable go here C:\Users\"User"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable (replace “User” with the name of your user folder) and you should find a log file, and the last entries should have the extra info from the -d perf. Edit - to be clear what you’re looking at, you could rename the existing file, so dt creates a new one.
Hope this might help!

The easiest way is to go to windows run, cmd, navigate to program files/darktable/bin and type darktable.exe -d perf. The log file will be generated in the hidden path listed below.

• C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\ for windows +10
    These is a Hidden folder in Windows, therefore copy and paste the link to find this. - OpenCL kernel, thumbnail image cache and the logfile are stored in here. These are all safe to delete if needed.

I think you should try to use dartkable with opencl off. This will help rule out a AMD/GPU issue. Preferences, Processing to turn it off.

1 Like

I am really lost when I try to do this on my computer. I go to the cmd and it comes up with the curser and I am unsure what to type can you provide an example or more details. I apologise for struggling with this, but I would like to share some crash reports and Just can not work out how. I am on Windows 10. Thanks

I just tried this instead of the method I waffled about above. It works! I’ll try to elaborate… I use the Terminal app on Win11 - not sure if it matters at all. First navigate to your darktable folder: type cd C:/program files/darktable/bin and hit enter. (this is if your dt was installed in the usual location - adjust otherwise). The cd means change directory.

Then put darktable.exe -d perf (or any of the other options - see the manual) and hit enter. And that should be it! dt will start up in the usual way.

The other point is that on windows the feedback from the software goes to the log file I and @g-man mentioned above, instead of appearing in the terminal window.

in the command window type cd c:\users\TERRY-Pinfold\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable.

replace TERRY-Pinfold with your actual username in windows.

this should bring you to the proper directory.
then type dir at the next prompt and it should show the logfiles

Thanks a lot to everybody.
i succeeded in lounching darktable -d perf. I send in attach log file.
I have to modify what I wrote. When i double click on image to go to darkroom
DT doesn’t freeze … the screen freezes i can only se black and “loading file.NEF”
but DT seems to run…

darktable-log.txt (9.8 KB)

It looks like an OpenCL issue. To confirm, go to preferences, processing and turn off activate OpenCL support

If the image loads, then it means that we need to work on the OpenCL. Go here and download/install the latest drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-265

Turn OpenCL support back on to test.

1 Like
  1. Start your PC and log on. Click on the Start button in the toolbar.
  2. Type cmd and press Enter
  3. Select Command Prompt
  4. Type cd C:\Program files\darktable\bin This will change the working directory to the one that has the darktable.exe one.
  5. Type darktable -d perf OR darktable -d opencl OR darktable -d all OR to see all the options darktable -h

Thanks for the very clear instructions from everyone. I feel these instructions could be worth including in the user manual (egg on my face if they already are included). I can now open DT this way and will share some crash reports soon.

Yes!
Solved. Open CL Off and all is ok.
Now i upgrade driver

Thank you everyone

1 Like

We already have darktable 4.6 user manual - darktable
Description of the usage of a terminal or commandline tool is basic knowledge, depends on the OS used and should not be part of a reference manual of an application like darktable.

1 Like

There would be many users, myself included for whom this would not be basic knowledge. Operating systems like Windows has spoon-fed users and many people would not ever use CMD. I wonder if a troubleshooting section in the Darktable manual would be helpful to list common or known issues that people suffer and a guide and links to supply crash reports to the developers and links to forums like this so people can seek help.

I really appreciate the help everyone has provided here and their patience with a person who just could workout the correct CMD instructions to type.

1 Like

This is a very common problem with my photography students when I teach them about DT.

We have worked quite hard to slim the manual down to a “maintainable” 300 pages.

This content would be good for a wiki or blog post.

2 Likes

I created a markdown file with general windows questions. I keep adding and tweaking it as I read more and more questions. I just added the steps I listed above.

I originally was thinking to add it to the manual, but now I think it doesnt fit there. Maybe it belongs more as a Windows FAQ. I’m open to suggestions and by the way we are a bit off topic.

2 Likes

Thanks Mica and G-man. I agree that it is useful information that needs to go somewhere and the manual may not be the best place. Also, if it is placed somewhere easy to find then you won’t get people like me asking the same old questions all the time. I did try and find out how to generate a crash report, but all my searches were not fruitful. So this information was really appreciated.

1 Like

Yes, but easier said than done. I think the manual is well laid out and easy to navigate, but people still don’t look at :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree, but… in fairness to people who didn’t find what they were looking for, it can sometimes be hard to know just what one is looking for.
I can’t think of an example at present. but it’s often happened to me that I wanted to know something, but didn’t know the right question to ask… if that makes sense.

The manual, any detailed manual, can be a bit like that sometimes. :man_shrugging: Of course, on the bright side, it’s usually educational! :grinning:

If you’re looking at the manual but can’t find it, that’s fair. But most aren’t even looking and don’t think to look.

1 Like

Well that won’t do! :roll_eyes: