Darktable performance in lighttable mode (tagging etc)

Yes, my library is quite a bit smaller, only 12k images. But i’m also usaully only working on about 100 images or so. Selecting some images with the collect module and applying color labels and tags, both via keyboard and gui, seems a bit faster to me with the recent changes to master.

Latest update: guys I have just got the latest package from git (this time I didn’t compile it myself but realized that I could just get the latest one from https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=graphics:darktable:master&package=darktable) and, wow the speedups are there! No more lag in setting color labels and stars from keyboard shortcuts! Excellent work @Pascal_Obry, this is making my editing so much faster now, it will smooth out the editing I’m doing for a personal project/book!

PS: for the record, this is the version I’m using:
darktable_2.7.0_git251.fff6ec3c5_amd64.deb

3 Likes

@aadm: that’s good to hear! we finally have something for people with 4k monitors or above. that’s also nice to have more reactivity on an HD monitor BTW (that’s what I used). Thanks all for testing. If you find issues the best is to report them on our GitHub.

Yes. As I wrote at the beginning I’ve experienced this slowness with a fairly large (I think) library (~50k images) both using the internal laptop display (HD) and the external monitor (2560x1440 px). I hope this scales up also to 4K display but have no way of testing it.

On another note, the latest compile did introduce a small bug which I’ve described here (I hope it’s ok my description, first time filing a github “issue”): https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/2007

Maybe this introduced another bug: Redraw failure in lighttabe · Issue #2009 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub.

Should be fixed now.

1 Like

Hello,

I hope that I am not necro bumping, but I still notice a certain amount of lag in lighttable. I am running the git version : 2.7.0+2119~g2e7b77290 on Arch Linux, which I assume is more recent than darktable_2.7.0_git251.fff6ec3c5_amd64.deb.

The lag occurs especially when rating. Either with the mouse or keyboard. Setting color labels seem instantaneous.
I find that I also have a similar amount of lag when selecting an image or a group of images in lighttable.
The lag is about 1 second. A bit annoying in a workflow when needing to process many images.
I have a fairly recent computer, with an i7-8650U.
Is there anything I can provide to troubleshoot this ?

Since we are so close to release, git master is updating daily.

You can start darktable from the terminal with darktable -d all and see if anything registers in the terminal output, or you can attach gdb to the DT process.