darktable: periodic database maintenance?

my whole library.db is that size :stuck_out_tongue:

Not at all. GUI closing is the 1st thing before any cleanup process happens (and darktable does a lot of clean up, db maintenance is small-ish part)

And that’s UX evolution for me and you :slight_smile: click “yes” and poof, it’s done. Theoretical limit is your disk write speed so with 30MB of freepages and default settings I’d believe your db pre-maintenance was ~110MB, so the time to do maintenance would be “as long as it takes to write 80MB to disk”. In most cases it’s neglible. Would you like any kind of confirmation that it’s done? or would you rather have it by default asking at the start of darktable (so it finishes before you start working)?

Unless you brute-force closing, there’s no way any OS would do kill on that process (since it would send SIGTERM, and we’re already closing)

Plus - db maintenance is an atomic operation for sqlite (if i remember correctly), meaning that it’s done in separate temporary file and once it’s successful it changes temp name to old file (and that’s instanteous in todays filesystems)

Nope, and it’s impossible to “show progress” in any menaingfull way
 Maybe except showing little “pliz vait” window :wink: and the process shouldn’t take more than ~2s in bad cases :wink:

Statistics? I mean - it shows you that it can free 30 MB and once you click yes it doesn’t lie :wink:
I can add another dialog with “Maintenance done good sir, 30 mb freed”, but I personally hate those :wink:

How would you like it to be?

I personally think that asking on startup by default would be better, since asking on close creates problems you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

“For how long have you been using darktable ?”
“Oh, something like 300 MB.”

Nifty. Thanks @johnny-bit !

1 Like

My pleasure! (TBH for cases like yours it SHOULD speed up db access a tiny bit). Especially since that whole set of patches forces code to VACUUM, ANALYZE on command + PRAGMA optimize on every close

No, if it means popping up another window from nothing (at this point I won’t have any visual indication that DT is running, right?).
ANd also no if most of those maintenance processes run so fast - this confirmation window would pop up instantaneously after pressing yes, which would be kind of weird.

So, if shutting down the computer, as well as closing the lid (suspend), don’t present any issue, I’m ok: press yes and be happy.

:astonished:

Thanks for having worked on this @johnny-bit

1 Like

@johnny-bit another question.

Today I started darktable and then closed it, without doing anything. The maintenance windows popped up claiming 29.5 MB to be cleaned. I aswered yes.
Then I reopened darktable and closed it and, again, the same windows popped up. I repeated this a couple of times and the window always show up.
Is it normal?

No it isn’t. Which version do you have? I’ve fixed some stuff around maintenance and it should fix most of the problems.

In recent PR (#4379) I’ve added some debugging info that can be enabled via -d sql option to diagnose such cases.

However - If you have newest master and still sqlite still won’t vacuum it right then try changing the option to on startup. If that fixes it then we’ll have some moving around to do

1 Like

I had git721, now upgraded to git-776.
I opened and closed it and the window didn’t show up.
It seems ok now.
I’ll keep an eye, though.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @gadolf @GBB29 @pehar @Jade_NL and @anon41087856

In order to get the newest changes in maintenance code merged I need better descriptions for options. Since English isn’t my first language I need a bit of help.

Here’s my current propositions:
maintenance_check :
shortdesc: “check for database maintenance”
longdesc: “when to check and ask to perform database maintenance. the 'don’t ask options will simply perform maintenance if needed.”

maintenance_freepage_ratio :
shortdesc: “database fragmentation for maintenance”
longdesc: “a minimum fragmentation ratio to perform maintenance”

I welcome all suggestions. Messages need to be clear and not scaring people away. for maintenance_freepage_ratio the values should be in range of [0-100] but sensible range is IMO [15-40] and I don’t know how much you’d need to grind db to get freepage ratio above 50%.

I couldn’t work out from your commits what the options were. But guessing, I’d put something like:

maintenance_check:
shortdes: “Permission for database maintenance”
longdesc: “is permission required to launch database management?. ‘Don’t ask’ options will run without asking”

maintenance_freepage_ratio:
shortdesc: “Fragmentation beyond this triggers automatic maintenance, or request”
longdesc: “Fragmentation above the selected ratio suggests database maintenance. In this case permission will be asked, or carried out automatically according to choice for maintenance_check”

English is my first language, but that might not be an advantage for international understanding

2 Likes

I’m Dutch so English isn’t my first one either. That said:

I think @GBB29’s proposal is rather spot on. Only minor comment about it: all should be lower case and no question marks to conform to dt standards.

so
 “database fragmentation threshold to trigger cleaning maintainance” ?

3 Likes