Darktable plugin gimp 2.10.18 does not function

Hi MIca,
I really do not know.
In what menu of Gimp or Darktable can I influence that?
Greetings,
Ruud

AFAIK, uses the plugin .ext as exchange format.

Are you able to open the RAF file directly in darktable?

Hi Tobias.
Yes of course. Darktable is my main editor. I use Gimp mostly for printing. So when I have edited the image in Darktable I normally import the RAF.file after closing Darktable and by starting GIMP and opening the same RAF.file in GIMP. But that functionality is not functioning now.
Do You have an idea or solution.?
Now export the edited RAF.file in Darktable as a Tiff file and then open it in GIMP for printing.
I do not like all those extra files on my computer.
Greetings,
Ruud.

There is a plugin to open gimp from darktable, isn’t there?

Not to my knowledge.:((

Found the lua. Edited the Luarc file and now I can activate in the export module of Darktable GIMP choosing a file-type.
I hope somebody repairs the plugin in Gimp. Who can I inform of the problem.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Greetings.
Ruud

I’m also trying to get an Edited RAW into Gimp for some pixel level retouching, and back again to dt. Looks like this might do the trick, but I installed the http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/darktable-lua-scripts-git and it looks like the install put everything in /usr/share/darktable/lua

If I run in a terminal:
darktable -d lua
0.830102 LUA ERROR : cannot open /home/marcs/.config/darktable/luarc: No such file or directory

As a next step should I copy the directory to ~/.config/darktable to get things started?
I also see a link GitHub - wpferguson/script-manager: Darktable script management solution
Should I also install this?

Thanks for any help.

Hi @Marcsitkin and welcome,

See 9.1.1 Basic principles
https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/lua_chapter.html

This can be solved in 2 ways:

1. Assuming you only run 1 copy of darktable you can install lua in your ~/.config/darktable directory. If you move it from its current location do make sure the permissions/owner are set correctly.

2. Create a link from within ~/.config/darktable to /usr/share/darktable/lua

cd ~/.config/darktable
    ln -s /usr/share/darktable/lua lua

I run multiple (test) darktable instances and share lua. Here’s what the config directory of one of those instances looks like:

$ ls -l
-rw-r----- 1 jade jade   29288 apr 30 11:55 darktablerc
-rw-r----- 1 jade jade  233472 apr 30 10:19 data.db
-rw-r----- 1 jade jade  165361 apr 11 18:55 keyboardrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 jade jade  159783 apr 30 10:19 keyboardrc_default
-rw-r----- 1 jade jade 3342336 apr 30 11:55 library.db
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jade jade      27 apr  8 11:10 lua -> /data/Images/Dt.Shared/Lua/
-rw-r----- 1 jade jade     113 apr  3 18:26 luarc

The luarc file contains the entries that you want to have access to when starting darktable. Look at the README.md file to find out what is available and which section they are in.

The one shown in the above example looks like this:

$ cat luarc 
require "official/delete_long_tags"
require "contrib/gimp"
require "contrib/hugin"

Thanks, I’ve read this a couple times, and didn’t lead me to any answers about installing these.

Thanks, will give this a try. I only use one copy of dt, so I’ll try moving it first. Look

You might want to consider installing a fresh copy:

As a normal user:

cd ~/.config/darktable
git clone https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts.git lua

Updating it is as easy as:

cd ~/.config/darktable/lua
git pull https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts.git

That worked to install, thanks.

So it looks like I have no luarc file. Is this something I can create using a text editor?

darktable]$ ls -l

total 35644
-rw-r–r-- 1 marcs marcs 31867 Apr 30 10:49 darktablerc
-rw-r–r-- 1 marcs marcs 278528 Apr 30 10:49 data.db
-rw-r–r-- 1 marcs marcs 208896 Mar 20 10:27 data.db-pre-3.0.0
-r-------- 1 marcs marcs 208896 Mar 20 16:52 data.db-pre-3.0.1
-r-------- 1 marcs marcs 274432 Apr 23 14:24 data.db-pre-3.0.2
-rw-r–r-- 1 marcs marcs 129276 Mar 20 10:27 keyboardrc
-rw-r–r-- 1 marcs marcs 158614 Apr 30 10:49 keyboardrc_default
-rw-r–r-- 1 marcs marcs 18644992 Apr 30 10:49 library.db
-r-------- 1 marcs marcs 0 Mar 30 17:23 library.db-pre-3.0.1
-r-------- 1 marcs marcs 16547840 Apr 23 16:53 library.db-pre-3.0.2
drwxr-xr-x 9 marcs marcs 4096 Apr 30 10:42 lua
drwxr-xr-x 2 marcs marcs 4096 Apr 6 16:51 styles

Yes, it’s just a text file.

Got the export to gimp as an option now, and exported a tif into gimp, did an edit, and can save as a gimp file. What triggers the return to dt? I tried an export, got an error message and crashed dt when scrolling in lightable to the top images in my folder. Cleaned out the newly created images from gimp and can now navigate again.

Need to make the round trip. Seem to be halfway there!

These steps work on my side:

1. Edit in darktable
  2. Export, select Edit with GIMP
  3. Edit In GIMP
  4. Select Overwrite <IMAGE.NAME> and quit GIMP
  5. In darktable you now have the org and, grouped the GIMP edited version

EDIT: You can still choose the format you want/need to export: I use openexr, but you can also select tiff (8/16/32) or even jpg

It seems to work with a tif (16b), although it comes back into dt rotated 90 degrees c-clockwise.
Tried the openexr twice, image never made it into dt.

Thanks for your patience and help, this will make a big difference to me. Trying to get back to a similar workflow I had with LR/PS when I need to do some cloning to remove logos and such for stock photos.
As good as the spotting tool is in dt, I still find situations where a stamp tool or sometimes a paintbrush is what I need.

I cannot help you with the tiff weirdness. One of the reasons I switched from tiff to openEXR when exporting is the problems I had using tiff. Some stuff was rotated, or was visible in GIMP but was lacking in darktable. There was always something not quite right.

I also noticed that tiff exports, be it from GIMP or darktable won’t always be shown correctly in other image viewers (if it shows up at all). So I basically gave up on the whole tiff format…

About openEXR: Are you able to save to openEXR from darktable (not using edit with GIMP, but file on disk)?

One other thing when using darktable → openEXR → GIMP: When exporting from darktable I set the profile to linear Rec 709 RGB and the intent to perceptual This makes sure, on my side of things, that everything is the way it supposed to be.

I just made an exr in gimp and it came in to dt fine as a normal image import.

Just for the record, this is the first time I’ve run across this format it 25 years of digital imaging.
I’ve always gone in and out of Lr/PS via tiff export, but I was in the large format printing business, and it was a common format for RIPS and printing in general.

The tiff’s seem to be going out of dt and into gimp and back ok colorwise, and gimp picks up the sRGB profile of the dt file, asks if I want to covert to gimpsRGB (whatever that is) and I just say no.
I can live with the rotation, not an issue.

At the end of all this, everything gets exported to 100% jpg’s in sRGB space for upload to shutterstock.

I do anticipate that I’ll have others exporting as tiff for my (inkjet) workflow, which is ProPhoto or Adobe RGB, and the tiff goes into Photoshop on a VM Win for any raster work and printing via a Canon plugin. Does Photoshop open an EXR file?