Darktable possibly gets DNG embedded lens correction

Here is a DNG and JPEG pair from my Panasonic FZ330 (also know as an FZ300) for you to try.
P1530258_20220227.dng (14.1 MB)

Oops, thats a panasonic raw but not a DNG file :slight_smile:

Sorry. I’ve edited the post and swapped the RW2 for the DNG.

Just noticed that the PR has been merged :slight_smile:

Rebuilt from master, hoping that I could finally use darktable for DNGs generated by Kalpanika / X3F Wrapper from Sigma DP2 Merrill raws. Unfortunately they also need the gain map …
[dng_opcode] OpcodeList3 has unsupported mandatory opcode 9

So I need to stay with Adobe for my Merrills, but thanks anyway …

@chris @Peter the purple center in the drone photo is typical for DJI drones. I have a Mavic Air, which is supposed to have an embedded lens correction profile in its DNGs, as well as a colour correction profile (LR and PS use these). For lensfun/DT/RT I made and shared a lens profile, but I still need to correct for the purple center by hand, which is nearly impossible if the photos are used for panoramas. For that reason I convert DNGs for panoramas to 16-bit TIF files in LR or PS. DT being able to deal with an embedded colour profile (and lens profile, would be even better) would be more than welcome.

3 Likes

I enabled the lens correction in 4.2.1 and noticed that there’s a slight difference compared to the JPG out of the camera on my Leica TL2 using Summilux-TL 35 ASPH (there’s also a significant difference in purple fringing, but people already mentioned that in other threads)…

So here’s the camera JPG for this DNG:

And here’s the camera JPG for this DNG:

The current 4.2.1 darktable version does not include the lens corrections based on embedded data (those provided by leica). Darktable “master” (will be 4.4) has that included. But thanks for sharing …

There have been a number of posts recently from you on this forum. I am not sure what “fringing” means here for you.

The “purple” flat areas is not fringing for me, that’s just highlights and a totally different issue.

If we talk about the “coloring artefacts” while pixelpeeping at the power lines. Yes - and that’s what the lens CFA correction is about. I have looked at quite a number of raw images from Leica TL2 and CL and how those embedded corrections work, i would say really good.

But - both the demosaicing module and all later reconstructions rely heavily on best possible highlights reconstruction. You should always concentrate on that first. I reavaluated the above image here again, for me a close-to-perfect lens.

2 Likes