darktable speed (in general, and when using two monitors)

No, it is a zen2.

CPU only: 32,8 s
GPU: 6,6 s

darktable 2.7.0+890~g4af798911

CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-2600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB Speed: 2236 MHz min/max: 1600/3800 MHz

GPU: Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] driver: nvidia v: 390.87 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.87

Memory: RAM: total: 15.63 GiB @1333

Kernel: 4.19.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64

My base system (CPU, MB, RAM) is from early 2012. CPU i7-2600K was released in 2011. Your i7-7700 is from 2017. Quite a heavy difference between desktop and mobile CPU here.

CPU only: 15.4s
GPU: 3.8s (only one of two GPUs utilized)

darktable 2.7.0+901~ge2188ea4b

Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
32GB ram DDR4-2133 (very little improvement if I run at X.M.P. II )
NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1) with nvidia-drivers-418.43

@Claes:

• you have two GPUs in your PC?
  • I assume GTX1660, as you wrote above, was a typo and is GTX1060?
  • During real processing, definitely my two GPUs are working, but for this bench test I couldn’t make it, you have any idea?
  • at GPU we should be more closer in results, I guess, but is not, even mine is a G1 with factory OC, yours?
  • acc. to phoronix.com the core i9 should be faster than the Ryzen 2700, but seems, it is not or you use OC? :blush: :wink: (anyway thought I need the single core performance as well, that was my decission making on intel, but this is off-topic now)

No, it is not a typo.

Screenshot_20190409_100135
Additional tech data PM’d.

1 Like

Yes, there is no parallel export.

Did you build dt on your own? Default for build.sh is --build-type=RelWithDebInfo. Maybe --build-type=Release is faster?

Hey y’all,

@Claes: thanks a lot, replied PM-ish :wink:

@pk5dark: yes, currently I am on git-master and just use the build.sh (actually from within a script, that does the update, build and install all in one). What does this “=Release” actually do?

I am on Gentoo and there you also always build from source. Any chance, if I want and if I can actually go back to official release, to implement this via USE flags?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Axel

My results:

• CPU: 87,830 secs (320,479 CPU)
  • OpenCL: 9,301 secs (14,804 CPU)

AMD® A8-7600 radeon r7, 4GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

I used Gentoo for some years. :older_man: still don’t get if you do emerge darktable or whatever the command to install is or if you have your on script which does runs ./build.sh from the dt source dir.

IRC people discussed on the mailing-list? that there are some differences in speed.
Haven’t found any sources related to dt.

1 Like

Interesting. I have performed the test and:
21.805369 [dev_process_export] pixel pipeline processing took 21.397 secs (23.753 CPU) [export_job] exported to 'test.jpg' 22.322860 [opencl_summary_statistics] device 'Intel(R) Gen9 HD Graphics NEO' (0): 550 out of 550 events were successful and 0 events lost

CPU only:
21.474766 [dev_process_export] pixel pipeline processing took 21.089 secs (160.353 CPU) [export_job] exported to 'test_01.jpg'

I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (HD Graphics 530) with 32 GB RAM. Didn’t expect this.

@maf Intel’s openCL driver is apparently really bad and you should not use it.

Hi @maf,
Might it be that you have inadvertently destroyed the xmp file?
Try to fetch both files again and re-run the test.

@Claes nope. The xmp is fine.
I recall that @paperdigits said earlier in other thread that Intel openCL is terrible and should be disabled. Well I can confirm that sometimes I experience broken image (like square of different luminosity in image) and generally my setup is very slow. Sometimes when I edit a portrait it takes like 5-10 sec to see the effect. But this when I have lots of local edits, retouch and so on.

@maf
Ah, OK.
Pity it was not that silly mistake [I made it myself yesterday :frowning: ]

Dear Christian @pk5dark,

Actually I have both.
darktable 2.6.2 is installed via “emerge darktable” with the following USE-flags
media-gfx/darktable::gentoo opencl -colord geo libsecret webp linguas_de L10N_de

Also at the moment I am on git-master, which I install with this simple script:

#!/bin/sh

cd /root/darktable
git pull
git submodule update
./build.sh
cd build
make install

exit 0

If I want to keep that script, seems I have to learn some awk and sed to implement the changes you recommend :slight_smile:

Let me try that now manually first.

Cheers
Axel

@AxelG

That looks like the “normal” darktable git command commands.
See at the end of this page for additional info:

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

1 Like

@Claes
cool, I just implement that bid in my script and all is fine for updates (I know, also the “make” it self):

### Building manually

$ mkdir $HOME/darktable/build 
$ cd $HOME/darktable/build 
$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..

There is no difference in speed for me between the build types. :innocent:

@pk5dark
for me an itsy bit

but not really for opencl activated

so, at the end not worthwhile to bother changing the script :slight_smile:

Did you notice the build logs of the opencl kernels if you start darktable -d opencl? They are compiled at runtime.

1 Like

@pk5dark
I’m lost :wink:
I just wanted to confirm, that --build-type=Release also didn’t do that much in terms of speed, when opencl is working