darktable speed (in general, and when using two monitors)

What do you think is the problem?

My specs are:
DELL 7577
I7-7700HQ
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX1060 6GB
4K IPS screen
512GB SSD
1TB HDD

I will not tell you until you have performed the two tests :slight_smile:
[after all, I could be wrong! :frowning: ]

Haha ok, I’ll get back to you on this.

Windows is your problem :smile:
JOKING

But seriously, do you compile your dt by your self? That might do a huge difference, see earlier in this thread.

I’m also curious of your results. It is a matter of 5minutes.

Wish you a quick recovery and being healthy again!

I wanted to give a brief update on my situation. I started this thread (and several others, all related to “darktable’s speed”, in terms of actual processing and how fast it feels when browsing, culling etc) because I felt DT wasn’t as fast as I was expecting back then when I switched from Mac + Lightroom to Linux + Darktable (most importantly: from an old macbook pro with a 2014 core i5 and 8Gb of ram to a recent Dell XPS with a 2017 i7 processor, additional GPU and 16Gb of ram, which I thought it would be an drastic step-up in performance).

After my latest tests with the development version of DT, 2.7.* I went back to the stable version 2.6.2 and I had to re-create all the database because of the (documented) lack of backward-compatibility. So I started from scratch and imported all the folders with xmp files of all my +40k images; it took a while, ok, and I had to reprocess a few images with settings that were incompatible between 2.7.* and 2.6.2 (the ones with profiled denoise modules activated).

But in the end I found what I was expecting from the beginning of my history with DT: a fast, reliable and consistent approach to editing and processing. When editing, I don’t have any more issues with preview creation; even if I don’t generate cache images separately with dartkable-generate-cache I get large previews almost instantly; star ratings and tags are quite fast to be applied and removed from photos; during processing, exposure and tone curves are fast (even though not as fast as in Lightroom) and the lag between applying any setting and watching the results on screen is minimal and not disruptive. My concern about perhaps having a too large database has faded away; I can easily navigate my 40 thousand images.

So in the end I wanted to write about my experience to say this; if any of you are having similar issues to those I was having, just try to start from scratch, build a new database reimporting all the raws + xmp files, and perhaps use the stable DT version. In my case, this has made a huge difference.

Thanks to the developers once more for an awesome product and for the support I have had in my Dartable experience.

PS: the processing speed in these tests hasn;t changed though; still 12secs to process the raw file with GPU support. I guess this shows that this particular test does not reflect the actual real-life performance of Darktable.

4 Likes

the & makes it difficult ;-).

But here we go. The mainboard has 4 slots A1, A2, B1 & B2

darktable 2.7.0+1087~g7fe35d67d

CPU @4.8 GHz

Don’t take the numbers to serious.

Sticks DIMM slots used CPU only (s) opencl (s)
1 A2 23.4 4.4
2 A1 A2* 23.7 4.4
3 A1 A2 B2 23.9 4.4
4 A1 A2 B1 B2** 13.8 4.0

*not recommended warning → single channel mode
**dual channel mode

Conclusio? But the RAM sticks into the correct slots as written in the manual. Don’t care about the CPU if you can get a nice GPU. The Intel Core i9-9900K doesn’t pay off here.

no - just at stock 2666 MHz

System: Host: mond2019 Kernel: 4.19.0-4-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 
       Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.5 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 

Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK (MS-7B18) v: 1.0 serial: xxx 
       UEFI: American Megatrends v: 1.50 date: 03/26/2019 

CPU:   Topology: 8-Core model: Intel Core i9-9900K bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: C 
       L2 cache: 16.0 MiB 
       flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 115200 
       Speed: 1259 MHz min/max: 800/5000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1259 2: 1224 3: 1341 4: 1246 5: 1340 
       6: 1220 7: 1453 8: 1055 9: 1086 10: 1178 11: 963 12: 1090 13: 1244 14: 1196 15: 1244 16: 1727 

Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: nvidia v: 410.104 
       bus ID: 01:00.0 
       Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa 
       resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 

Memory: RAM: total: 62.85 GiB used: 1.42 GiB (2.3%) 
       Array-1: capacity: 64 GiB slots: 4 EC: None 
       Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: 16 GiB speed: 2667 MT/s 
       Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2667 MT/s 
       Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: 16 GiB speed: 2667 MT/s 
       Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 size: 16 GiB speed: 2667 MT/s
1 Like

Abends, @pk5dark!

Danke vielmals.

Don’t take the numbers to serious.

??? Of course I do!!! :wink:

Are you sure it’s not a typo in 4 Sticks/CPU only?
If that value is correct, how on earth can the execution
time become almost twice as fast?

MvG,
Claes in Lund, Schweden

Yes, I’m sure. Just run it again now.
Dual channel only works if you use the correct slots, which would have been A2 and B2 with 2 sticks. And I didn’t tested A2 & B2. I was a bit surprised that 3 sticks didn’t use some mixture of single/dual channel.

Thank you.
Hm. So you mean that perhaps A2 + B2 in your case could
be good as well?

Yes, of course A2 and B2 would have been the correct ones. On startup there also is a warning message from the UEFI that you should check your setup.

So I tried performing the tests but it didn’t work.
I have 0 knowledge about these things.

Tried downloading the Phoronix Test Suite, I went to the file folder, I hit install and some windows cmd screen came up, with all kinds of lines and then closed down.

I have no idea or way how to open the program now. What did it do? What got installed on my computer? How do I open it? I wanted to run the benchmark with the samsung RAW files, but I can’t until I know how to open it.

Edit: I think it’s installing now. I ran the batch file and I had to install phoronix, cygwin etc… I hope this won’t mess up with my system :’)

Edit 2: Everything got installed I guess, but I still can’t access the program. Someone please enlighten me how all of this works or let me know how I can uninstall everything that I just did from my computer without having to do a system repair.

Edit 3: I really hate this lol. I’ve got Cygwin open right now, cause I found it. However, if I add the command lines, it won’t do anything and just say: “bash: darktable-cli: prompt not found”
So I can’t do the test… Can someone give me an explanation and as simple as possible on how to get this to work? This is really annoying for me because I have 0 developer skills/knowledge. I have 0 affinity with coding and the whole: “it’s done in 5 minutes” has already taken me 1,5 hours already. I don’t have that much time on my hands.

Dear Rico,

Er…
frankly I just “fly over” your words… but for that test you need to install absolutely nothing

Just download that photo and than start “darktable-cli” in a comand shell. Actually @Claes does also use Windows (besides the brilliant Linux :slight_smile: ) and could tell you, which command and how he triggered…

I run windows so it seems like I have to install those programs. The article talks about phoronix too. I’d like a step by step tutorial/walk through or an answer on how I can delete all those programs and batch files that have ran a minute ago from my laptop.

@Claes: could you confirm this? Thru our conversations I didn’t get the impression, it is that complicated on WIN!???

@Rico: on my machine, I just downloaded the image and the xmp and then I started just like darktable-cli bench.SRW test.jpg --core -d perf -d opencl
Sorry, if I thought it too simple, just hope we still find an easy approach.

Sincerely
Axel

No, @Rico!
You are making things far too complicated.

The total test will take no more than about 15 seconds (on a good machine), without the need to compile anything… Let me try to take this step-by-step.

a) Are you on Win 7 or Win 10? 64-bit? Home or Pro?

b) From where did you get your version of darktable?
From here: install | darktable ?

c) On your Desktop, create a new folder, named bench

d) The bench folder has to contain two files: bench.SRW and bench.SRW.xmp
You fetch these two files from here:
http://www.mirada.ch/bench.SRW
http://www.mirada.ch/bench.SRW.xmp

e) Start a Windows command prompt by typing cmd

f) In the command prompt window, type

cd \Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Desktop\bench

g) In the command type window, type

“C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cli” bench.SRW test.jpg --core -d perf -d opencl

Note the execution time.

“c:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cli” bench.SRW test.jpg --core --disable-opencl -d perf -d opencl

Note the execution time.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Zweden

1 Like

Windows 10

‘C:\Program’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\MY NAME\Documents\Bench>\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cli" bench.SRW test.jpg --core -d perf -d opencl
‘\Program’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

:slight_smile: I told you… I have 0 knowledge about this and it’s not as easy as you make it look :). Now how do I remove Cygwin from my computer, and the batch files that have been installed yesterday?

PS: I can only install the XMP file as a text. Because it opens in chrome and shows a lot of code/text. So that’s another problem.

b) From where did you get your version of darktable?
From here: install | darktable ?

Yes

So I really need your help with removing the program.

Yesterday, I’ve downloaded phoronix test suite, and ran some batch files. A cmd window popped up, did some things and closed down. I’ve installed Cygwyn as well (some kind of Linux emulator?). I want to completely remove all of the components from my system, because I have 0 faith in this and I’m unfamiliar with all of those things. The only reason I downloaded and messed around with those programs was to “help” you guys get some test results. Apparently I’m too stupid to figure this out, and the guidance in this thread is not enough to make it work.
I’m kind of fed up with this whole process right now, so I’d like to know how I can remove EVERYTHING that got installed yesterday without having to do a system restore (because that will really piss me off).

please help.

Greetings,

Rico

I tried one final time:
System cannot find the path.

It seems you didn’t put the quotes that @Claes used.

2 Likes