darktable: Style vs. LUT

Sorry, what need to be in a specific folder? The Cache is located in INetCache, it got re-build after renaming.
But it seems that both the installed dt and the USB one use the same INetCache location.

I did set --cachedir for testing, also no change.

@st.raw

Morning!

And more thing, OpenCL seems to be used by many dt modules, but only LUT ain’t working? I don’t get that.

openCL is used if, and only if, it is available :slight_smile:
If not available, some operations will take a trifle longer to execute.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I meant the Lut files

As long as I know, under windows, intel opencl kernel is blacklisted.

Run darktable_cltest to see if opencl us working.

In mine it says that the neo 2.1 driver us blacklisted.

Neo 2.1 is working in capture one.

But intel has had issues with opencl in previous versions that force developers to disable it.

Is it opencl active for you?
I cannot activate it.

OK, got it. The USB drive has a fixed drive letter on all three devices. That should work fine I guess. The LUT folder is specified in the prefs.

The zipped outputs are a few messages above. I can tick/untick openCL in dt.

1 Like

Should be ok then. Just thought it might be something like that

I probably give up on the home PC and openCL. Just checked my office PC (I thought I bought it around the same time a bit later), home PC is i3 gen4 (came out 2014), office is i3 gen6 (2015). LUT works fine on the office PC.

The home PC has 4400 graphic, office has HD530.

Not sure if a cheap graphic card in the home PC will help, plus, I feel hesitant to throw good money after bad money. I will probably just use the notebook at home (works fine) and get a mouse (dt isn’t really designed for touch pad). Not a big issue.

I am not explaining myself correctly.

I have a desktop computer with intel i7 8700 (8th gen, I think?) processor with an integrated intel HD 630.

Drivers in intel have had some issues with opencl, as you probably know.
In some upgrade of drivers intel even removed opencl completely due to that.

But the lasts versions seem to have opencl working correctly (I am using it in capture one).

Last driver reports opencl 2.1 NEO as its opencl motor.

Yours seems to be quite older (1.2) in a less capable integrated graphic board.

What surprises me is that you can even enable opencl? (but of course it is obvious that you can).

Due to problems with opencl, darktable has dropped opencl when you have an intel graphics card.

When you run darktable_cltest you get something like:
discarding device 0 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630' because the driver OpenCL 2.1 NEO ’ is blacklisted.

Later darktable developers have reenabled opencl in intel boards under Linux, as the new NEO motor seems to work properly.

But they have kept it blacklisted under windows. It seems that nobody has tested it under windows and there are few darktable developers in windows.
So I cannot enable opencl.

But you seem to be running darktable in windows in an intel board and with opencl running.

Which version of darktable are you using?
Which versions of intel drivers?

Which version of darktable are you using?
I wiped all dt from my home PC including all folders and did a fresh install, it’s 3.0.2

Which versions of intel drivers?

What I know:

Intel(R) Core™ i3-4160 CPU
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
Installed Drivers igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd12umd64.dll
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (20.19.15.5126, 7.61 MB, 20-Oct-17 16:41)
In Device Manager: 20.19.15.5126

5126 seem to be the latest driver. I wonder if rolling back makes sense?

However, the dt CLtest reports:

DRIVER_VERSION: 20.19.15.4835

How come?

I’ve had a look at your log files. For each of them open cl starts properly (including lut3d).
So the open cl error happens later on… Don’t know how we can track this.

Could you launch dt on cmd console with the options -d all > log.txt, open the faulty image / lut3d (like on the screenshot you have shared), exit dt and share the file log.txt ?
Sharing an example of the faulty lut3d file could also help.

Here is is one I just created. This time I used a png LUT, same problem:

home_usb.txt (733.5 KB)

And here the same output from the working notebook:

notebookUSB.txt (1.4 MB)

In both, I openen an untouched image in dt, applied a LUT, and closed dt.

Thanks. So far so good. Both files show a correct open cl execution.
:thinking:

I see one difference on the settings:

• notebook: opencl_device_priority: '*/!0,*/*/*'
  • home: opencl_device_priority: '*/!0,*/*/*/!0,*'

I don’t know what that means but it should not hurt to try the notebook setting on home machine (darktablerc).

Also playing with the open cl configuration (default, multiple GPUs, veru fast GPU) may give some indications…

I think we need some input from open cl expert here …

1 Like

Tried, not working. It was somehow expected, remember, USB dt on the laptop works, in the home PC doesn’t work. And the darktablerc is on the USB drive. So it’s the same darktablerc that works on one PC but not on the other.

The problem is with the PC, not darktable I guess. The Sigma Photo software runs also in snail speed. I will look deeper into the PCs graphic drivers.

I have uninstalled darktable and deleted all files, deleted the opencl kernel files and reinstalled darktable.

Same problem, darktable-cltest says the intel board driver opencl 2.1 NEO is blacklisted.

It seems you have better luck with your older board and opencl version.

But may be problems you are experimenting are due to the bugs in intel’s opencl implementation that led to intel drivers being blacklisted.

In the meantime I tried different Intel VGA drivers. I installed GPU_Caps_Viewer to check if openCL really works (it does).

I am still puzzled why I see the LUT applied in the darkroom preview, but not in the main edit screen.
Then, when I re-scale the main edit screen to i.e. ‘small’ I see the LUT applied in the main edit screen for a fraction of a Second. Strange.

I’ve seen that your intel GPU has less memory than the other one. That may be a part of the explanation.
But we should get somewhere an error message (I have not seen any in your log files)…

No error messages. In the meantime I tried 3.0.0 - 3.0.1 - and the 3.0.0rc* ones. All the same.

Maybe it’s really time for a new PC. Or I use that monitor on the laptop, that’s probably an alternative too. My next hardware will towards graphics.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m wondering what is the best approach using LUTs and styles:

1. neutral image > LUT > styles

or

1. neutral image > styles > LUT

or

1. the order doesn’t matter?

Knowing your lut and the desired intent for its creation can help…so depending on what you use it for you might move it in the pipeline… Color Grading: What are LUTs and How to Apply Them Correctly?.