darktable tone equalizer : help wanted

Be my guest.

That’s exactly what I did mean. Thanks!

As for your development you did quite well with clouds, indeed. However the fort is still too dark and gloomy for me… will check your .xmp

1 Like

Maybe if you just need to finetune equal luminance values then disable guided filter. Then the mask represents the luminance of the image - in this case its similar to have multiple exposure correction with parametric masks on luminance ranges in a more comfortable way. But then edges aren’t taken into account …

1 Like

Hello.
I’m also in the process of discovering the TE module now, and looking for explanations, tips, etc. here. So I ended up in this thread.
I’m still not convinced that I understood everything, but I’m under the impression that the guided filter is specifically here to ensure there is no local contrast added: as a consequence, even if two areas of the image have different luminance levels if they are spatially close their luminance shouldn’t be relatively changed. For that purpose, they end up with the same mask level and then in the same node. That’s the situation with your example @kanyck.
As advised by @MStraeten, if you disable the guided filter, the mask will be a pure luminance mask, but you won’t avoid local constrating.
Or maybe I didn’t understand anything. :slight_smile:

No contrast added or removed, indeed. The guided filter ensures contiguous image areas get the same exposure compensation.

“luminance”, because it’s not a real luminance (as in the Y channel of XYZ space).

I’m also sometimes struggling when adjusting the mask in order to split the image areas I want to treat. Would it be a possibility to display the histogram and the location of the nodes in the Mask tab instead of the bar graph? I find myself often going back and forth between the Advanced and the Mask tab to check the histogram in relation to the nodes.

I know that this will take up some space and might become difficult for users with small screens, particularly if you also use drawn/parametric masks. But to me that would be a more efficient way to check where I’m going with my mask adjustment. The Advanced tab could still remain for the exposure adjustments.

You can use the bar to see the effects of the adjustments. Since the histogram doesn’t display the original luminance if used with guided filters it’s not that important. You‘d better activate the display of the mask to see what really happens if the parameters are modified …

I know (although the bar does not (yet) behave as it should on some systems). I still think that if the nodes are shown related to a spread of the histogram (I’m not interested in the intensities) would improve the efficiency of the adjustment. Sometimes I have a well spread bar but the histogram is actually not very wide.

1 Like