@paperdigits, you raise a good point, but I’m so old and it has been so many years since I switched to Fuji that I can’t remember. It’s possible that I used some Nikon software to transfer from the camera, but by the time I took these photos I’m pretty certain I was using LR 1.0 (having been a Beta user) and already had a slow, el-cheapo USB SD Card reader (still in use!) which avoided the need for Nikon software. Further more, I seem to remember that I was using PhotoMechanic (early version) to ingest. Either way, I assume that Adobe had to make some modification in LR 1.0 to enable it to read any potentially corrupted NEFs which had been ingested.
But if anybody has a clearer memory about this I would be grateful as it may give a clue as to a work around.