darktable virtual pub hangout session

OMG a wild @Tatica appeared! I’d love to see your giant smile in the hangout too! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hmm tempting. Not a darktable user, but I’m definitely a beer user!

1 Like

Oh Boyz ‘n’ Gals, I’d love to join, just still too busy with new home…
We just moved in and hell of work remaining. Y’all enjoy and receive my warm toast.

AxelG from very cold centre of Germany :smiley:

Just checked and it is 13° colder than where I live. I like cooler temps though, so I have been staying indoors. Enjoy your new home @AxelG.

Aye aye capt’n

When is this happening? I completely forgot about it and just made an appointment for July 5th, at least for the afternoon.

So it will be Saturday, 3rd, around 18:00 UTC+2 (Paris, Madrid, Bruxelles - Central European Summer Time).

5 Likes

I would like to join. But if Germany beats England tomorrow in the UEFA EURO football tournament, I will have to leave early :wink: to watch the quarter final.

That would be noon EST. See you then.

1 Like

“If” … what do you mean “if”!!!
:de:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Time needs clarification. So does 18:00 UTC+2 equate to 20:00 UTC? I’ve never seen UTC expressed with an offset except to designate a time zone, and I use UTC frequently as an amateur radio operator.

So is the meeting 18:00 UTC, or 20:00 UTC?

20:00 UTC is not noon EST, nor is it noon EDT, which is currently applied. EST is UTC - 5 hours and EDT is UTC - 4 hours.

It’s simple and non-confusing just to state UTC. No offset.

18:00 in “UTC+2” is 16:00 UTC.

:thinking: I took it to mean 1800 (6pm) local time in the time zone UTC+2…

1 Like

If x + a = b, then x = b - a, right ?

So if UTC + 2 = 18, then UTC = 18 - 2 = 16.

The general form is <time> <time’s offset from UTC>. “UTC” states offset = 00:00.

Time without a stated offset from UTC is mostly taken to mean local time. “UTC” is one of multiple ways to state zero offset from UTC. Other variants are +0 +00, +00:00 and Z (zulu time, military: zero offset). Read 18:00 +02 as “time is 18:00 with/including a 2hour offset from UTC”.

18:00 +02:00 = 16:00 UTC = 16:00 +0 = 16:00 +00 = 16:00 +00:00 = 16:00 Z.

The offset can be stated indirectly using a geographical reference, as in “Europe/Berlin”. That opens an additional can of worms called Daylight Savings Time or DST. 18:00 Europe/Berlin is ambiguous without the date, you need to know if DST is in effect or not, 18:00 Europe/Berlin can be 18:00 +01 or 18:00 +02 depending on date.

I think Zulu time existed before UTC and referred to time at the zero meridian or possibly to the GMT time zone back in the day. UTC is arguably not a time zone, while GMT is and has the DST problem.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I am deeply involved in processing log data from remote robot devices and I need to keep these things straight :hot_face:

It’s so hard to have fun.

7 Likes

We have all sorts of obsessions here. Good or ill, that is the diversity of our member and readership. :slight_smile::sunny:

2 Likes

I would like to join. But if England beats Germany tonight in the UEFA EURO football tournament, I will have to leave early :wink: to watch the quarter final.

3 Likes

If you want to inflame the rivalry, replace

But if x beats y
with
When x beats y.

:partying_face:  

(Better yet, we could watch together online. It is a virtual pub hangout after all.)

3 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like