Darktable would not open up on Windows

This is strange.

Can you navigate to the folder via cmd and do darktable-cltest by typing instead of clicking? It might show more information that way.

I changed the current directory in cmd and ran the cltest file through there, indeed this resulted in 1 more line:

I think you will be able to start darktable with: darktable --disable-opencl

But the magick error is not normal. I think this should be raised as an Issue on GutHub.

Thanks g-man, it finally does open up!

Is there any way to open it with opencl disabled without having to go through command prompt every time?

Happy to raise the magick error on github, for the awareness of the community, I will post it in Issues · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub - let me know if you thought it should go somewhere else.

1 Like

I think we saw the same error recently here: Windows 11 Darktable 4.4.2 won't start - #3 by kofa
And there’s been a handful of these cases of dt ‘just won’t start’.
Could it be something related to a Windows update?

You can disable OpenCL in the preferences by unticking the checkbox:

I must confess I’m not sure if this is enough to prevent the startup issue.

Great news that it does start. That ensures we could focus on OpenCL only. Yes start the Issue in GitHub to get better documentation if this happens with the new version of darktable (see below). Like Steven shared, we had some recent reports of issues but you are the first one sharing good details.

• Do you know what graphics card your {C has?
  • Do you know the drivers? Can you go to the vendor website and update the drivers?
  • Do you have an antivirus running? Any alerts from it? Can you disable for a few minutes to test that’s not causing the issue?

The next version of darktable is 4.6 and should be released around 21Dec. In the forum we share a pre release version of it to get early feedback on windows. Can you install it and see if it resolves the issues? darktable windows insider program 12/3

1 Like

Please do not open a new issue. It has been reported over and over (I also added a duplicate):

1 Like

Then perhaps the original issue should be reopened. It’s now marked as closed, so probably won’t get any attention.

If users shouldn’t open new issues on this, how can they report it?

It’s fixed in master - or can you reproduce it with a dev build? On the phone now, sorry, cannot search or investigate much.

My mistake, I took your reference to the issue # 14733 as you marking it as a duplicate of that issue, which was marked as solved, for version 4.4.1.

Kofa, I disagree. The issue you linked is missing information. The information posted in this thread shows a failure very early (when it is opening the opencl library). This is different than what we’ve seen in the past with the Compatibility. My request is to start the issue if happens using master. Some of the questions I posted should help us understand what is the root cause of the issue. Also having someone actively trying to test/solve it is beneficial.

Sure, if it can be reproduced using the current master build, a new issue will be needed. This is not something I can help testing, as darktable runs fine on the Windows 10 laptop I have access to.

I have seen a few issues like this; this happens while linking the required OpenCL driver functions but we can never be sure if that link is correct/valid …

FWIW, I’ve just set up a new Win 11 laptop, with windows all up to date.
I was kind of hoping I might run into this issue, however Darktable. 4.4.2 runs perfectly out of the box.
The laptop does have an AMD discrete GPU, so the OpenCL compatibilty stuff is probably not involved I suppose… (It’s not installed as far as I can tell).

My 2 cents:

I had this problem after trying some AI software that installed the OpenCL layer from Microsoft on my AMD system. The magick error was thrown while building the cached kernels in the “C:\Users\kongstew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\cached_v1_kernels_for_OpenCLOn12AMDRadeonRX6600M_110” (2nd device) directory. Shaders (correct me if this is the wrong term) for the AMDAcceleratedParallelProcessinggfx1032 (1st device) were created correctly. So the error seems to be caused by something in this OpenCLOn12 (GitHub - microsoft/OpenCLOn12: The OpenCL-on-D3D12 mapping layer) mapping layer. Similiar errors were thrown in the AI program when trying to use StableDiffusion.

After deinstalling the OpenCL mapping layer I only had 1 dt_opencl_device and darktable started as expected.

Just speculating: These kind of errors I’ve seen in the '90s when I dabbled in C and C++ and mostly they were caused by type casting gone wrong or something like that. I would think that somewhere a library is used/linked that is not as typesafe as we expect in 2023,

1 Like

Thanks all for the input and the willingness to solve this.

First off, I am unable to untick OpenCL support from Settings, it is greyed out, any idea how to get around this?

Secondly, to answer the diagnostics questions:

1. Do you know what graphics card your {C has?
  • Intel HD Graphics 620
  1. Do you know the drivers? Can you go to the vendor website and update the drivers?
  • Driver for graphics card is version 27.20.100.8854, driver date 14/10/2020. This does sound old, but Windows tells me it is up to date.
  1. Do you have an antivirus running? Any alerts from it? Can you disable for a few minutes to test that’s not causing the issue?
  • No alerts. I also disabled the antivirus and the issue persists.

Can I provide any further details?

Go to this link and try this. It is almost the final version we will release in two weeks.

Second, go to Intel website and download the drivers from them for the GPU.

Installing the latest version of darktable did not fix the issue.
Having some trouble with updating the drivers, I am told my PC does not meet the minimum requirements for the latest driver from Intel. I will attempt to use SupportAssist to see what drivers they recommend.

Using the new version, if you disable opencl, in preference, do you still have an issue?

What’s the output of darktable-cltest with the new version?