De-haze tool suggestion

thanks for the heads up; i didn’t know. I was however hoping to be able to do it overall

even its named “local adjustments”, you can apply it overall. There are three types of spots, one of them is called “full image”

1 Like

I must admit I was very glad when local adjustments first appeared in RT …then proceeded to never actually use them :stuck_out_tongue: so my experience with them is as is obvious quite minimal. Thanks for the feedback, I will check it out

kudos to the RT team. I cannot begin to understand the beauty of code you guys write; but I do appreciate that it exists. thank you!

Morning, @stefan.chirila,

Download the image of the particularly noisy girl and work through this wonderful tutorial:
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Adjustments#Using_the_Denoise_module

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

thank you sir! will do

@Claes @marter

Thank you for these positive reviews. However, improvements to Local adjustments are always possible, for example it should be possible to associate ‘black Ev’ with Dehaze (even if you can do it by opening LA Tone equalizer before).

I remain convinced (of course you can say that I have a biased opinion) that LA with full-image is better than the “main” versions (of course when possible). Using scope=100, from my point of view must be a very marginal use. What needs to be improved, but very difficult for me, is the GUI to facilitate access to these features.

jacques

3 Likes

Personally I must say it all works really well for me, however I agree, the main problem is the GUI. I think it would already be a game changer if you could save and load single spots. Then you could take your time creating some spot “presets” that you could quickly load when you need them, make some minimal adjustments (like scope e.g.) without bothering with the massive amount of possibilities.

I made an improvement to Dehaze (local)

• the ‘saturation’ slider works correctly now (its value was not preserved in pp3);
  • a ‘black’ slider allows you to adjust the dark tones of the image in both haze reduction and addition mode.

Branch "ladehazeblack’

Jacques

4 Likes

This is amazing, thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You can sort of… but only one at a time. Applying a new one erases the previous one.

These presets is really what makes local edits part of my normal workflow. I save a named full image spot with locallog or cam16 tweaked with settings that work for me. Then I apply them when needed.

This feature combined with the ability to store deactivated tool settings are really important for a good RT workflow imho. For instance my most common crop is to make portrait format images 4:5 ratio so my dynamic profiles set my crop to 4:5 but has it disabled.

Yes, I know you can save complete local edits and use this to save a single spot. But I would use the local adjustments A LOT more frequently if you could add previously saved spots one by one.

E.g., to kind of stay on topic, I like to use negative dehaze and a raised black point sometimes to lower the contrast in clouds or diffuse the border of a blown out sun. However, when I do this I have to do all other LAs from scratch.

I just create a Pull Request with these changes

https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/pull/6860

2 Likes