Demosaicing at high ISOs for X-TRANS

I’ve tried the technique on a couple of shots taken with XT2 at high ISO (12800). I like it! No need to add grain in DT. The light lowpass filter makes the noise very natural. This is a screenshot working on a b/w image:

On top of FDC demosaicing and lowpass with 0.1 radius, I’ve added a channel mixer with the default Tri-X settings, chroma denoise and hot pixels.

This is on a color photo, with before/after (heavier processing with filmic and color balance here, the rest is the same as above):

2 Likes

I see strong color artifacts in the cat’s whiskers. I remember that FDC was more prone to color moiré than 3-pass algorithm in my tests.
Can you try the same workflow but replacing FDC with 3-pass?

1 Like

Hi,
I’m using the dpreview RAF of the X-T30.
I cannot see any increased moiré, just a much clearer text and less color artifacts with FDC.
What do you think?

Ok I hadn’t really notice the color artifacts, I was more than happy in seeing how “organic” the background looked etc.

I tried Mark. 3 pass and yes it is slightly better but color artifacts still persist! Difficult to really see them on a screendump so I cropped the photo, made 2 copies with same parameters except for demosacing and exported, here they are:

@aadm @mcogoni thanks for testing.