Difficult picture to adjust highlights

_DSF3698.RAF.xmp (13.5 KB)

This is how far I was able to go on DT 4.0.1
But I really like the edits of @spidermonkey and @7osema

Out of curiosity - I did put the file in Lightroom Classic. But this is without any modification - simply import and export. And the items of interest to me are the blown out sunshine and the mountain below it.

Looking at the results from @spidermonkey - sigmoid based I am very interested to see the final product when it is released.

On the left - the history shows that nothing is done to the image.

Slight sidetrack from the subject. Adobe developed interesting AI based masks in Lightroom (subject selection / face detection etc.). While I do appreciate the masks in DT - If somebody has the knowledge how to do that - it would be quite a benefit (if ever - I expect it maybe a huge undertaking).

1 Like

My attempt

As far as I know, both sigmoid and inpaint highlight reconstruction will be available in 4.2 release.
I ended up having to do very little to the image to make it look good, so credit should go to the developers.
I tried one of the weekly windows builds of 4.1 using a different config folder and it all behaved nicely (except for exporting this file - perhaps because it is fuji).

Just to clarify, I think @hanatos 's screen shot is showing the new application, vkdt, not darktable… but that is about the limit of my knowledge - except that it is fast :smiley:

Just for context and support of how good the FOSS stuff can be…

ON1

Default opening

Then enabling their hue based highlight recovery…

They can seem to access the fuji profiles or their version…

Here is pro neg…

Just for context …

4 Likes

I tried to recontruct the highlights to my taste, keeping the sun disc visible, plus a tighter crop.
DT 4.1

_DSF3698.RAF.xmp (13.2 KB)

2 Likes

Hello,
Very nice atmosphere

_DSF3698.RAF.xmp (10.3 KB)

1 Like

Fun to see such good results with the sigmoid module @spidermonkey !

And then the Lightroom and ON1 results to compare with :smiley:

My observation and not from this is: how would I do a edit with a visible sun disc with the sigmoid module as my display transform? That will require some dynamic range editing to bring the neighborhood around the sun down in exposure while not making the foreground black. Is this possible with the tone equalizer currently?

For example with “rgb levels”
Sigmoid ON and rgb levels: OFF:

Sigmoid ON and rgb levels: ON: The solar disk does not change

Rgb levels won’t work here, especially in from of sigmoid as that module expects bounded display referred data. We need to work with methods that change the exposure locally. Tone equalizer, masked exposure, graduated filter, contrast in color balance rgb, etc.

1 Like

@jandren I have had a go at making the sun disc more visible using tone equaliser here:

I reduced the edges refinement to very low to avoid banding
and adjusted the smoothing diameter to get a balance between ugly banding or the sun disc being smoothed too much.

Adjust highlights_01.RAF.xmp (12.8 KB)

3 Likes

Darktable 4.0.1

_DSF3698.RAF.xmp (28,0 KB)

To recover the lights I have used filmic rgb v5:

Captura de pantalla_20221119_100019

1 Like

I think darktable uses the wrong raw white level for this file:

(Only a bare minimum of modules enabled, so colours are wrong.)

A tiny reduction changes clipping detection considerably:

Two silhouette approaches, one with filmic, one with sigmoid. For both, I found the reds overwhelming, and pushed them back using the simple channel mixer preset of color calibration. I used a separate instance because I found it gave nicer colours; if memory serves me well, and I understood correctly, on the primary (chromatic adaptation) instance, the R, G and B channels are not really R, G and B (see Color calibration - colorfulness - #17 by anon41087856).

_DSF3698.RAF.xmp (13.5 KB)
_DSF3698_03.RAF.xmp (9.4 KB)

3 Likes

I do find it interesting that you can get the black point in this file but not the white point data that I could see… I wonder why?? I thought about your silhouette approach. If I go as dark you did I like a bit more dramatic sky in the background. Looking at my two earlier attempts I made a crazy saturated one but I liked the whimsy of it and the second one I tried to get some sort of sun flare… I went back again and went for a combo of some foreground silhouette with a more desaturated washed look and keeping the accent of the red flag that disappears if you go too dark… Lots of ways to go with this photo…

_DSF3698_02.RAF.xmp (7.7 KB)

1 Like

My try…

_DSF3698_01.RAF.xmp (17.4 KB)

2 Likes

Indeed, in “filmic rgb” module v5 (2021) of “color science” with following settings generates very realistic look:

“preserve chrominance” should be set to “no”.

Here is the XMP file…

_DSF3698_01.RAF.xmp (25.0 KB)

Just to note: I use DT v4.0.1 as released on the DT website.

Amazing work for such a difficult picture!

Very good results and a good point!

In DT I can’t find the the guided Laplacians in the highlight reconstruction module with this image. Does it not work with this raw file type? I do have good results with ART with this image.

Doesn’t work with X-trans I believe…

1 Like