Diffuse or Sharpen module --- ouch!

Perhaps I should add that they’re making great strides with https://asahilinux.org/
No GPU acceleration yet though…

3 Likes

Are you sure?
If you check the commit messages from this year, they are refactorings, UI changes and the like.

The current version of the module, v11, arrived in last August.

New noise profiles have been added, but not many:

1 Like

@kofa with the high ISO noise shots from my Canon G16 I get good results with the defaults in the latest version of the denoise (profile). It tackles both chroma and luma noise nicely. In 3.8 it softened the image too much for the luma noise correction so I only did the chroma noise in this module and used other modules to tackle luma noise. Noise is less of an issue on my D-SLR images so my testing for noise reduction is based on my G16 images.

Try the CA module to eliminate most of the chroma noise.

If you are using the official release 4.0 for macos, it run under Rosetta on Apple silicon and opencl is unavailable. If you compile darktable for arm64 it runs natively (at least on my macbook pro 14" with m1pro) and opencl is supported (I suppose it’s emulated by metal) and diffuse and sharpen is pretty fast. But you need to compile dt and it’s not straightforward.
JF

2 Likes

I recently upgraded to 4.0 and I am impressed with the new Diffuse/sharpen module. Great results, and even without OpenCL on my old Lenovo Ideapad 110 running Linux mint, it is quite fast enough (I use it for sharpening mostly)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum… I am the same. I can create enough blurring all on my own when I shoot… :slight_smile: The presets are great and then you can do some small tweaks to them and get some really nice results…

Would be interested in knowing how, even if only to prove it is beyond my abilities :wink:

I think if you do a search on

build darktable mac

you should get some helpful information. I’m on Windows, building there is really not a big thing, updated instructions are available and straight forward. Good luck!

There is now an “official” method to build darktable for ARM64 processors :

JF

2 Likes

Thanks. My attempt to execute this dies on line 29 because Terminal cannot find a command called cmake.

You need to install cmake:

sudo port install cmake

1 Like

Line 31in my attempted ARM64 build leads to:

[dt_detect_cpu_features] Not implemented for this architecture.

[dt_detect_cpu_features] Please contribute a patch.

[dt_init] SSE2 instruction set is unavailable.

[dt_init] expect a LOT of functionality to be broken. you have been warned.

(process:78479): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 17:12:24.479: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

[dt_detect_cpu_features] Not implemented for this architecture.

[dt_detect_cpu_features] Please contribute a patch.

[dt_codepaths_init] will be using experimental plain OpenMP SIMD codepath.

(darktable:78479): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 17:12:34.048: invalid cast from ‘GtkMenuBar’ to ‘GtkWindow’

(darktable:78479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 17:12:34.048: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed

…then the script hangs…

DT did launch though, albeit in an ‘exec’ window… and speed with DorS module is very acceptable, which is a huge improvement.

You can safely ignore those warnings: the code is written for Intel processors and use optimizations not available on the arm64. To get rid of the ‘exec windows’ you can create a small app with apple automator to launch darktable. Or the darktable bundle should solve this but the gtk-mac-bundler-0.7.4 script does not work on my macbook and I have not investigate further because I am usually using brew instead of macports . If you need more help, you can send me your mail address because I think we are a little out of topic.

1 Like