digiKam 7.2.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, After more than one year of development, the digiKam team is proud to present version 7.2.0 of its open source digital photo manager. Here is the list of more than 360 bug-fixes ordered by categories coming with this release: Advanced Rename The tool to batch rename items in collections has received plenty of code review to fix older dysfunctions. This has improved stability and usability.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2021-03-22-7.2.0_release_announcement/
16 Likes

Thank you so much for this release. As always, Digikam keeps rocking with every new release. I look forward for the Android Motion Pictures support in the later versions of Digikam. :pray:t3:

digiKam has been one of the most useful things for me about switching to open source, words will only fall short. Thank you for everything you’ve done and the work you continue to do.

I’m not a programmer, but I always geek out whenever one of my FOSS apps puts out a new release. Many, many thanks to the devs who make this happen. digiKam especially has become indispensable to me over the last couple of years.

I was recently forced to work on Windows for a while. Where the Rapid Photo Downloader is not available. So I searched for an alternative program for downloading images off my SD cards into a specific folder structure. And wouldn’t you know, there are several. That come highly recommended by the photo community. And cost around €100, each.

I instead settled on DigiKam, which does the job brilliantly, and for free.

1 Like

Good to know that others are geeking out when a new version comes out! Congrats to the developers, it really is a nice program to use, although I probably only use 10% of what it can, do…

1 Like

Installed - so far works without any problems - Thanks for this great piece of software.

1 Like

Thank you guys for this release ! :+1:

Thanks for the update. Every now and then, I install the latest digikam (10 years ago, back in 2011, I even bought @dmpop’s Digikam Recipes e-book), and then find it’s still not for me. I don’t catalogue and tag images much, and use darktable for editing. However, the face recognition intrigued me (I have lots of family shots). Unfortunately, after a day of fruitless attempts, I gave up.

• Despite unchecking the ‘Disable OpenCL’ setting, my nVidia 1060/6GB card was left idle; my Ryzen 5 5600X did not finish reading my photo directory (admittedly, over 200k entries) in a day.
  • Face detection worked fine, in the sense that if found lots of faces…
  • … many of whom were bystanders and the like. I have not found a way to automatically find the recurring faces, and attempt to tag only those.
  • I’ve added a few family members as tags, and tagged a few images, then ran face recognition (on a small portion of images imported overnight). When I came across a photo of family member X in a group of unconfirmed photos for family member Y, and I changed the name to X, the default name also changed to X – meaning that if I clicked the + sign on a photo of the ‘unconfirmed Y’ set, it was assigned to X, not to Y.
  • When editing an unconfirmed match, I have not found a way to ignore a photo; clicking - simply moved it from ‘unconfirmed match’ to ‘unknown’, and then I had to go to the ‘unknown’ group to ignore the photo.
  • Matches, in general, were very poor, even when I moved the required accuracy above 90%. This may have been because my subjects are mostly my kids, and tagging shots of baby X and teenager X may not produce a good model of ‘face X’.

Thanks for the latest build of DK 7.2… I’ve had previously the version 5.7.0-02 for Windows 10 installed on my system and enjoyed the option of 3-4 various themes, from which at least one was a Dark Theme… After replacing 5.7 by 7.2, there is only 1 theme left and it’s a light one (white)… I know that a bug-fix was about themes ( Bug 292902 - After choosing a dark theme the album view still with a white background and unreadable yellow or white font.), but can someone explain to me how I can get back the other themes from 5.7 ??
TIA

i’ve had very similar experience with face recognition so i think the issue is not your dataset.

I decided to delete my face db after scanning baby pictures. (wrote xmp’s) I reccon those baby faces will pollute the database and prevent decent detection of older faces.

happens to me as well. I then tag an instace of X in group Y to get the name back. Or i select all and type the name of the correct tag (autocomplete)

Awesome update. Many thanks!

One thing that bugs me though: I would love to see the Google Photos Import not to lose GPS-Information of images. Really would appreciate that to come in one of the next updates, if possible.

Keep going. You’re great!

It is not our fault that the GPS information is lost when importing from Google. Google deliberately removes this information, which is also communicated by Google in the API documentation. We can’t change anything here.

1 Like

Oh no. That’s sad. But anyway thank you for that information. I did not expect that.

Did you find a solution to this?

Wonder if anybody could provide advice here.
I no longer wish to have my raw files catalogued in digiKam, I can use darktable to import photos, name and tag them now, so I just want to catalogue the jpg outputs in digiKam.
So if I press the red bin button next to the removable media (where my raw files are stored) as shown below:

Will it just remove it from digiKam, or will it delete the actual files too?
A red bin looks quite final to me!

When removing an entry here, you won’t delete the contained pictures. You just remove the folder from the database.

OK thanks!