digiKam 7.5.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, After one month of active maintenance and a huge bug triage, the digiKam team is proud to present version 7.5.0 of its open source digital photo manager. This new version arrives with more than 700 files closed in bugzilla and main improvements about usability. See below the list of most important features coming with this release. Translations, Internationalizations, Localizations, and RTL Support digiKam and Showfoto have been internationalized by the KDE translators team since the start of the project.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2022-01-16-7.5.0_release_announcement/
4 Likes

Wow. Awesome. Will M1 Apple Silicon support make it in the 7.6 release?

Hi,

Apple M1 support is problematic with different points:

• 1/ All dependencies to compile digiKam must supports M1 architecture. These dependencies are managed by Macports, and for the moment, it’s not the case.
  • 2/ A M1 native computer need to be used to compile the whole project. Actually, digiKam for MacOS is compiled under a x86 virtual machine, not a real computer. Cross compiling for M1 under a MacOS x86 virtualized computer do not work due to Apple XCode limitations.
  • 3/ A native M1 packaging need a signed Apple developer account. You need to pay 100 euros for that by year, which is unacceptable for an open source project. This is not yet the case for x86 packaging.

These points will be certainly evolved in the future, but for the moment the x86 packaging is enough and work like a charm with the Rosetta 2 mode with M1 based computer.

1 Like

Yes, it is quite snappy on my M1 Air and now that it includes the Open With… menu, it is really useful.

Could you please explain what do you mean with RTL support for Chinese and Japanese?

Modern CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) in software is always written from left to right (LTR) and ironcally your own screenshot also shows LTR writing in Chinese.

RTL for sure is the traditional direction of writing, but it is nowadays only used for historic names, literary purposes etc.

Everything in modern software (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux) in CJK is written from left to right, including digiKam 7.5

I appreciate all your hard work and it sounds rather nitpicking, but your description with regard to Chinese and Japanese is simply wrong. It might be a good idea to ask your translation team about this and correct the description.

By the way, Arabic (from which I don’t understand one word) looks much more like I would think of a RTL language :wink:

yes you are right, Arabic and Hebrew languages are RTL, not Chinese and Japanese

Would you please consider fixing this bug in 7.6.0 ?
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=376061

It’s just a missing library in Neon packaging…

This is a packaging bug from KDE Neon team, it’s not a digiKam team bug. We don’t maintains package for KDE Neon.

Hi Gilles,

3/ A native M1 packaging need a signed Apple developer account. You need to pay 100 euros for that by year, which is unacceptable for an open source project. This is not yet the case for x86 packaging.

you could have a free account is cou can provide a DUNS number, see my topic on QElectroteTech forum:
https://qelectrotech.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=17440#p17440

Regards,
Laurent