digiKam 8.0.0 is released

Dear digiKam fans and users, After two years of development and bugs triage, and tests, the digiKam team is proud to present the new major version 8.0.0 of its open source digital photo manager. See below the list of most important features coming with this release. New Online Documentation A huge Application as digiKam needs good documentation for end users, and is well written with plenty of screen-shots and screen-casts.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.digikam.org/news/2023-04-16-8.0.0_release_announcement/
12 Likes

How is the face recognition? I keep trying Digikam to identify faces, but it always pales in comparison to Picasa. Has the new version improved on this yet?

There’s an option to use a better face detection method, which I find works very well.

The known-face recognition, on the other hand, does not seem to work particularly well for me.

This summer we plan to have a student to work on face workflow…

2 Likes

Loads slow, 16-bit color problems, disapointing…

On debian bookworm appimage 7.9 and 7.10 did crash on load. 7.8 and 8.0 load very slow (14s instead of 5s).

Heif Images always load as 8 Bit? Gimp and IM tell me that I have 16-bits (physical) and digikam says 8-bits. IM and files sizes correspond to 8, 10 or 12 bit depth (logical as passed via IM --depth).

Qt’Gmic still returns black images for 16-bit data.

Jürgen

GMic-Qt 1§ bits color depth support is fixed.

For the HEIF with color depth > 8 bits, please open a new entry in bugzilla with a file sample to reproduce.

Under Kubuntu 22.04, I converted a TIFF 16 bits to HEIC using Image Magick : color depth is 8 bits in Gimp.

Thanks for the new release!

One question: Was there a change to the “extension aware” numbering when renaming files? I shot raw+jpg and use a rename pattern like [date]_###[e]. So far, this resulted in raws and corresponding jpgs to get the same sequence number. With digiKam 8, this does not seem to be the case anymore, raw and jpg get consecutive numbers (i.e. same as if just using ###). Is this a bug or a feature? :slight_smile:

Just tested, works as expected on a JPG and a NEF file, the number stays the same. As before, the requirement is that the base name is identical.

Hi, I has been using digicam 8.1 for several months and updating weekly with the dev versions (currently build date 16/04/2023) and is working as expected. Just a minor observation, the configuration of the toolbars is reset after relaunching digikam. When I open the Configure Toolbars my settings in current actions are conserved, all I have to do is click Apply and the toolbar goes back to what I had in the previous working session. Not a big issue at all. I am on iMac-intel OSX 13.2.1.
Thank you for all the work onDigikam that I has been using for many years now.

1 Like

I tested again. Using the Rename dialog, it indeed still works if the base name is the same. However, it does not seem to work anymore when renaming in the Import dialog. The images on the SD-card have identical base names but they end up with different sequence numbers when using [date:"yyyyMMdd-hhmmss"]-###[e].[ext]{lower} (which was working before the update). Obviously trying to fix this via Rename is not working then, as the base names are different now.

I guess the different behaviour in the import dialog is a bug then? Should I open a ticket in the digiKam bugtracker?

I was able to reproduce the problem in the import tool. The import process has been revised quite a bit in digiKam-8.0.0. Metadata is now possible and correct date folders are created etc. A unique random sequence is appended to the file name so that no duplicate file names exist when downloaded in the folders. This must be taken into account in the renaming tool. It was forgotten for numbering with the “e” option. This will now be fixed in digiKam-8.1.0.

1 Like

Cool, thanks a lot! I’ll simply fall back to do the renaming after import until 8.1 is released :slight_smile:

For the Windows version, it states on https://www.digikam.org/download/binary:

We provide also a portable archive file (tar.xz), just decompress the content somewhere convenient, then double-click on the digiKam icon in the folder. This will not impact an installed version of digiKam, though it will share your settings with your regular installed version.

How do I make it fully portable so that I can keep everything on a USB flash drive, including settings, without any changes on the Windows Registry or leave anything behind on the Windows machine?

The documentation is amazing, bravo. I am learning it and it’s very useful.