Disabling 3.2's "Compensate Camera Expsosure" by default?

Just started working with darktable 3.2, and trying scene-referred workflow, but I’m having a problem with the exposure module.

With the scene-referred workflow, it looks like the “compensate camera exposure” is always on by default - how do I change this, so that it’s never applied? As I understand it, the reason the exposure module is there is to provide a “start point” that’s close to the camera’s processed output - but having this option enabled does the exact opposite of that.

It doesn’t appear that you can edit the preset (I can edit my own presets by double-clicking on them, but that doesn’t appear to work for the built-in presets.)

You can create a new preset and have it enabled by default.

You might need to do a similar thing in Filmic, see https://discuss.pixls.us/t/filmic-rgb-vs-in-camera-exposure-compensation/

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t realize there was a discussion about this already. I ended up taking your advice and disabling scene-referred workflow, then using two auto-applied presets. It seems like a rather clumsy work-around.

There are many ways of using cameras Darktable. I love that Darktable gives us at least a clumsy method of using it our way. Other tools force you to their workflow, with no choice on the matter at all.