discussion around new filters widgets

I was trying to get the best of both worlds. Use the light gray theme for better image processing, with darker text and icons for easier reading and recognition.

It is better late than neverā€¦

I just discovered the selection by group

And honestly - it made my day! Permanently attached to the top bar for me nowā€¦

Big thank you!!!

1 Like

I guess this is more of a comment on the interface than specifically related to the filters, but Iā€™m one of the older photographers (69 pushing 70) on this forum. I work with a 31" Dell 2k monitor, and am awaiting cataract surgery in the next month or two. I think that a bit more contrast would be helpful, and with the large white area around the image being edited, I donā€™t think it would be a problem for processing.

I think the biggest area of concern I have is with the right hand modules bar. Not enough distinction between collapsed modules (the thin white line is too thin for me). An expanded module over a collapsed module almost merges together. The > toggle is the indicator that there is another module for me.

Iā€™ll report back after the surgery. Maybe there will be an improvment! :eye:

3 Likes

On which theme? Contrast canā€™t be better on grey theme on most items (grey is in the middle of black/white gradient so contrast is more limited). On dark and darker themes, I already proposed (as I already said in my last comment on this thread) quite some times ago better contrast and had more complaints about that it became too much highlighted than anything else. As I said, itā€™s impossible to please everybody but themes are all tweakable.

So there will be no improvement. Improvement you ask had already been proposed and was a no goā€¦ Just take care that Iā€™m ok if a theme could have better contrast, if itā€™s possible (for grey theme) and if I donā€™t have more complaints against than people wanting it, for dark or darker themes (I personally only use grey theme).

On reflection, Iā€™m not sure increasing contrast would be the solution: in both cases mentioned, the problem was not so much contrast, as difficulty seeing small details, either due to myopic vision (which I have) or cataract (blooming of lights).

So perhaps different icons would be a better solution: a simple circle for ā€œzero starsā€ and a cross (Ɨ) for ā€œrejectedā€? Even if the cross could get confused with the stars, the separation would help. (or no change, and rely on the positions of the symbols, a bit like traffic lights arenā€™t a problem for the colour-blind).

Hi Nilvus-

I use the darktable elegant grey theme.

To be clear, the problem area for me is here:

Very little separation between modules on the lightable. The whole set of modules sort of merges together.

And to bring up perhaps a sore subject, one of the most important modules I use is the export module. I have presets I use for various custom exports, which is great, however I often need to change my target folder. The whole input area is too small. A popup with more real estate to edit the string would be helpful. Changing the target destination also resets the $variable back to filename, which is a pain to reset each time. Just hoping for some improvement here.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

Thanks for your precise feedback. Better to have such thing, that make it clear. I will check but this could be easily improved I think (I just need to take care too that this not become too brighten).

EDIT: about input area in export module, would be better if you could open an issue on Github (with precise infos as you describe here).

Now let go back to subject: filters widgets

@AlicVB Please check this: Filter only works on single collection at a time Ā· Issue #13116 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub.
It seems that boolean operation application when conditions in both collections and filter modules are used is broken, or at least itā€™s very inconsistent and not what expected from the GUI.