Distro Fever VIII: The Maddening?

@afre

No Nirvana distro yet, that I could find.

I believe that @betazoid is closest,
since she presently uses Garuda Linux.
(Close, at least when it comes to its origin.)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

This fella?

Distro-wise, it is here:

1 Like

Another day, another install of Kubuntu 22.04.1, and another timeshift restore of Linux Mint, and that’s an afternoon wasted…

Why Mint over KDE Neon? (thinking about my next move after Kubuntu 20.04)

So did I. I remember one time when I had at least six distros installed on my system (not VMs, actual metal installations). I maintained all of them, daily. One day, it struck me that they were all basically the same, so I whacked all but my favorite one (Arch Linux), and that’s where I still am, today.

1 Like

KDE Neon I found not particularly stable due to the frequent updates to KDE, on an LTS distribution base.

Mint I find, just works.

What I may do, is dig out an old laptop which I bought a few years back as a refurb, to take with me as a photo backup / viewer when I took a weeks holiday to the Isle of Skye back in 2017, and use that, for experimenting with distros…

Of course, one benefit of not distrohopping, is you actually get on with photo editing!

1 Like

And Garuda has an eye bleeding gaudy garish migraine inducing graphical theme

3 Likes

If you had the head and wings of an eagle, you would be making eyes bleed with your glory. Yesterday, at a board games night, I learned the term bleeding may also refer to someone who is showing their cards when they should not.

This has been precisely my issue! I did try Garuda. Managed to install, override some of the more garish annoyances; get OpenCL working; even cloned the master of darktable to compile locally. That’s where the fun began: no easy way to install all the toolchain using AUR (Arch package management). Now going back to the testing version of Debian (since I have broken the plasma installation in sid).

By toolchain do you mean darktable dependencies?
This should’ve all you needed:

Either way, in my opinion most Arch derivatives don’t make much sense. If you need a gui installer go Endeavour, no systemd go Artix, else go Arch itself, the rest don’t make much sense and only bring problems to the user through abstractions(Only in Arch context).

Afaik darktable-git in the AUR will do all you need to install it based on the master branch, be it by itself(makepkg -si) or with a nice wrapper like yay or paru.

Well, a big reason not to chose Fedora…

Brian, Brian…
I thought you had settled down???
And now you tell us that you are still shopping around!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Not entirely settled down it would seem. I’m finding a few things I need to do, would be easier on KDE Desktop Environment.

Everything is easier in KDE. Scripted mine to the gunwales… I have written so many scripts over time that sometimes I forget that I already have a script for that function. Fortunately I am quite consistent in my naming habits, so when I start editing a “new” script the existing one shows up in the editor.

3 Likes

Especially being easily able to undecorate a window (remove the toolbars / border etc) to make it easy to do a screen capture (e.g. using OBS) from an audio analysis application during playback (Sonic Visualizer), to create a scrolling spectrogram video.

My favorite WM feature is the “Keep above all” button that you can add to the Min/Max/Rest/Close buttons. Most of my screenshots involve a big window with smaller windows above it and without this it would be very painful.

Ubuntu, being Ubuntu, and inserting adverts in the output of apt…

1 Like

“Use Flatpaks” they say, “they reduce dependency issues on Linux”…

So in two days, I’ve had 750mb of “Flatpak” platform updates on Kubuntu 22.04 each day, with just 3 Flatpak applications installed, stremio (a TV streaming application) luminance HDR and Displaycal…

Huge updates of gnome platform 42 and 43 and kde platform and Nvidia platform…

No doubt 750mb worth tomorrow as well …

But are the flatpaks working well? They don’t impose updates on you, so you can update whenever you want.

Disks are large… Not sure I understand the complaint here.

4 Likes