dng from Lightroom to Darktable: completely wrong colours

In my compatibility testing I always keep a distinction between a converted DNG and a native DNG. LibRaw has never had an issue with a DNG created by a camera in my experience.

DxO’s DNGs are the weirdest—they demosaic and white balance but don’t clip the highlights nor do they set the white saturation point metadata differently for the different colors.

In my compatibility testing I always keep a distinction between a converted DNG and a native DNG. LibRaw has never had an issue with a DNG created by a camera in my experience.

I know, that’s why my Ricoh GR raw DNG’s have never presented my with any issues. The problem is however exactly as you state it: you never know when presented with a DNG whether it is the result of conversion or not without digging deep. To me raw is raw, untouched out of the camera.

In my case it’s simple. I use Lightroom for many years and have close to 200k images in my libraries. I’ve decided to see what are viable options to switch from Lightroom to another software. It seems that the Darktable is pretty much the only option on a Mac platform (at least from my experience trying different apps). I’ve read the documentation, etc and I’ve tried to the replicate my workflow in the Darktable and it doesn’t work for me as expected.

Bit of speculation here, but I think this will become a ‘thing’. IMHO linear 16-bit TIFF has been the norm with respect to some notion of “intermediate”, that is, a demosaiced and white-balanced linear image with a working profile colorspace, kept in a high bit-depth. In these wonky DNG presentations and now Apple ProRaw you see other approaches to the same “intermediate”.

I have many lightroom converted Lossy DNG files thats have a color cast when imported into Darktable. you can see from the screenshot

i am also attaching 2 of the dng if the dev are interested to figure out what the issue. if not its ok just pshowing my findings
A_8403629.dng (15.3 MB) A_8403631.dng (15.2 MB)