Dock piling and weathered docking line.

Panasonic DC-LX100M2 - f/5.0 1/25s ISO 200

I’m pleased with this one.

The predominantly dark colour palette works for me. I do think that without the white contrasting accent it wouldn’t have though.

Initially, when shooting, I thought this would be a nice 1:1 crop and focused on that. It turns out that that doesn’t work due to balancing issues. So this became a 5:4 crop in the early editing stages.

Constructive criticism or pointers are appreciated.

6 Likes

Hi,

I think the picture is nice, and I like the composition. However, I’m somewhat disturbed by the slight asymmetry that the two vertical bars on the top create. They almost divide the picture in thirds, but not quite. This might be nit-picking, but a slightly different crop would “solve” it. Like this:

However, you are allowed to think I’m just a psychopath :wink:

1 Like

Very nice use of line, shape, and texture. I thinkni would’ve liked a little bit more room on the top and a little less on the bottom, to balance the frame top to bottom.

Also if you had shifted and angled so that the line went into the middle of the wood post, that would create a little more harmony.

1 Like

@agriggio / @paperdigits : Both of you seem to address balance, just as I thought that I made some good decisions :blush:

Now that it is pointed out to me I realize that I was too fixated on a 5:4 ratio. With that in mind: Putting the right vertical third on the piling doesn’t work (first thing I tried), and I shifted to the (vertical part of the) docking line. The open space left and right of the line had to be the same. This, indeed, places the vertical bar somewhat asymmetrical in the frame. No excuse: I overlooked that one.

I’m not sure I fully agree with the top/bottom space. The top third is rather “heavy” and that is why I gave the bottom more room. Specifically to balance that out.

Here’s a re-edited version:

It includes more elements and is not as tightly cropped as I envisioned (wanted?) it, but I have to admit that the extra room does a lot of good!

Thanks for the much appreciated advise!

2 Likes

I actually like the first crop more. The wider one makes the issues the other two mentioned more apparent. I don’t mind the asymmetry. I think it creates a healthy tension and engagement.

2 Likes

I also prefer the tighter crop

@afre / @agriggio : Well, isn’t this nice :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking, off and on, at both the above images, both on my monitor and phone for the last couple hours and logged in to tell that I do prefer the tighter crop after all, and I find 2 like-minded people.

Yes, the first edit isn’t 100% symmetric in parts and the piling isn’t exactly on the right most third, but I think that (and the overall shot) is what keeps me going back to that one and not the wider, roomier edit. Afre’s Tension and engagement sounds about right.

I’m still glad those things where pointed out to me though. Although I thought I was, I’m certainly not done with this edit yet and will try to incorporate some of the advise in a way that does work.

I’m glad you considered all the comments. I’m always trying to rethink my crops, even if I arrive back where I started.

Are you using any local contrast/contrast equalizer? It could really help bring out the details; not that I find the detail lacking :slight_smile:

Yes, both!

contrast equalizer: used the standard sharpen preset this time, but I masked out the very darkest part.
3 local contrast instances, targeting different parts (one masked). This definitely gave the edit a nice boost, and brought out the gritty details.

1 Like

I like your composition and subject.

I am not much of a fan of added borders for web view, seems like it would never compete with an actual frame for a real art gallery hanging, and on the web, it is a waste of valuable pixel real estate. Also, local contrast enhancement could be lessened for areas that feel like negative space and don’t have as much distinct patterns, such as the dock behind the post and rope on the bottom half of the image.

Overall, the color palette from your stylized edit looks great.

1 Like

The reason I add a border/frame has to do with the fact that the background very much influences the way an image looks. Pixls.us comes in a light and a dark theme and adding a border/frame will negate that.

That is a very good point that I hadn’t thought about!

I am in agreement. I just put on my imagination cap and it worked fine. However, it does look odd in light box mode (i.e. when zoomed).