Drawn & parametric mask case

Not sure if this will help anyone but it was my way of working through the mask math…Combined Mask Breakdown.pdf (2.3 MB)

2 Likes

Todd,
Thank you for your detailed presentation. That helped me a lot to understand the workings of the masking process.
Yet, the issue remains at least as confusing and that is not your fault! t seems that overflexibility has its own set of difficulties.

Yeah the combination of all the channels and input and output could create a pretty complicated explanation…I did find this segment in an older post and it does work through an example an unintended one however of the interaction of the input and output masks…it helped me a bit understand how you could use it…I got to thinking not so much in this example but maybe you would mask for a hue and up the saturation for example and maybe it would be say yellow…so the yellow might affect flowers and leaves or something like that if say they all had the same hue or components of it in the input mask for hue but then in the output you might be able to refine it by selecting the hue of the leaves and protecting that from the changes made by altering yellow in the input mask so only the flowers were impacted…that is a bit of a ramble but this little snippet got me to at least think how you might use it in a workflow…its one thing to know what something does in a technical sense and another to think about how you might use it??sQsA Darktable - short question _ short answer - darktable - discuss.pixls.us.pdf (1.4 MB)