error code launching darktable

I wouldn’t advise that. Windows or dt’s uninstaller is all you need. See if there is still an installation entry under Apps. Go to “Search this list”.

If not, you might need to find your dt installation and delete the folder manually (e.g., program files). Also remove the settings folders here:

• C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\darktable
  • C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable

Replace [Username] with your own username. At least that is what I have.

PS I have encountered issues with the uninstall process before. There were some stubborn files that I didn’t have the permission to remove. I had to elevate myself to super super admin level to do it. Let me know if you cannot delete the three dt locations that I mentioned and I will help you further.

1 Like

The same error here on Win10 Home. I have removed the traces of the previous version before installing 2.6.0-rc-1. Antivirus disabled.

EDIT: No problems on a laptop with the same Windows version. That machine only has Intel’s integrated GPU. The “problematic” PC has a dedicated Nvidia graphic card installed.

Thanks for the suggestions, did as you said, deleted dt, looked in programs, programs 86, and program data nothing left from dt. Deleted all AppData files for darktable completely.
Did a computer restart, disabled my AV , Webroot, and installed dt. Got the same error message again.

Like jacal my W 10 machine has a Nvidia graphics card GeForce GT 620. Had no problems running dt 2.4.4.

I have recently updated a couple of other photo programs with no problems, Affinity Photo Beta, and the new Rawtherapee release candidate installed fine and are working well.

A quick web search indicates that the error code doesn’t have anything to do with hardware, although firmware could still be an issue. At this point, it could be any number of things. Either you are missing something, the registries are acting up or another app is interfering.

One thing that you could do is boot into Safe Mode (without Networking). What that does is 1) load only the vital Windows elements of the system and 2) in doing so, sometimes restores default settings and files, which would help improve your regular computing experience.

Try starting dt in Safe Mode to see if the error persists. If it works, try booting into the regular mode to see if dt is still okay. Do this and report back.

Afre, I have actually tried most of what you have suggested, with no luck, but I should, frankly, withdraw from this testing anyway.

A couple of months ago I have moved my years old Windows 7 installation - with many things installed, even more uninstalled - to a new SSD, in a dirty way, using some third-party program.

Then I have, for some reasons, installed Windows 10 on top of that, the lazy way again.

The system looks stable, but actually shouldn’t be used as a reference. I’ll have to find the time to do a clean Windows 10 (or even Windows 7) installation sooner or later.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Tried your suggestions, did not help. Did safe mode from my normal user acct. didn’t help. I then tried in my admin. acct. which is also my MS. acct. that also did not help. While in safe mode I ran a sfc/ scannow in my admin acct, which found nothing wrong. When I first had this problem I had tried the sfc scan, but not in safe mode.

I also tried your suggestions and none works. I have also recently updated a lot of other photo programs with no problems : Affinity Photo Beta, Affinity Designer Beta, DxO PL, and others, and all are working fine.
Reinstalling 2.4.4 is OK.

My problematic PC have a Radeon 7770 graphic card.

To get down to the bottom of the “it is the video card” theory: try disabling or removing the video card, its firmware and apps.

Honestly, I have been having some family emergencies this past week and so have only been able to give out general advice.

afre, sorry to hear about the family emergencies.

I uninstalled DT, and in the device mgr. disabled my nvidia card. Installed DT and got the same error code when I tried to launch the program.

Hello!
I also get the error code 0xc0000142.
I have windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3540M CPU
RAM = 8Gb
iGPU Intel Graphics HD 4000
and GPU nVidia GeForce GT 640M LE with updated drivers.

Greetings (translated with google translator)

Hello, i have the same issue, on a fresh new windows 10 instalation

From my PC …I have the same error and I returned to 2.4. and no problem

I Load 2.6 to a new portable computer new window 10 family and no problem …

@rd52, @Jacal, @Laurentia_Art, @arturoisilvia, @nongrata23, @joccha
Apparently something has changed betweenn 2.4 and RC1, and I’d need your help to hunt it down.

Could you follow the following procedure:

• Open a Command Prompt (easiest way: Windows Key+R, then in the “Run” dialog box, type cmd which will launch a new Comand Prompt)
  • At the command prompt, first try to launch darktable without openCL:
    "Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe" --disable-opencl
    If that starts and you don’t see a crash, then it is an openCL issue, and you can run an openCL diagnostic with:
    "Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cltest.exe"
  • If the crash is not openCL related (i.e. darktable crashes even when you start with --disable-opencl, then start a full diagnostic with:
    "Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe" -d all
    Then find and share with us the generated darktable log file. The Windows version of dt by default logs its debug information to the following places:
    Windows 10: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt
    Windows 7: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\darktable\darktable-log.txt

Your help is much appreciated!

Hello @peterbud, i am sorry to give you this news, but on all the commands that u ask it gives the same error, also is not generating any log because even with that command -d all, is giving the error… so no logs

If u have other suggestions how to debug this i am here.

Specifically this error code seems to be frequently appearing. Can you check this article:

Exactly the same thing - “so, no logs” - here, @peterbud . It has also happened with darktable-2.5.0+505~gccd2e8cac-win64.exe before, worked on a laptop (with Intel GPU), not on a PC with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

I did a “clean boot” with no result, I’ll try the other suggestions from your link also tried other options from the link, no effect.

Would it be of any use, if I completely disable the Nvidia GPU and uninstall the drivers?

Please do.

Sigh, Windows and its non-specific error codes…

@peterbud, i did try all the options from that link, nothing works, and yes i have an nvidia card

@peterbud, I’m sorry but no log and nothing works, and I have a Radeon card.
Only this RC1 knows this problem.

That’s tough: if no log file at all, then there is not too much help I can provide.

Juts out of curiosity, is this also generating the above mentioned error code?
"C:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable.exe" --help

If error is the same, then it means it’s not even the very minimal console output is working.