error code launching darktable

I have another report where is works with a Intel Core I5 4258U CPU which also supports AVX2. So I would check that no AVX2 instructions are generated.

yes, … i5 760 support both SSE4, but not AVX2.

My i5-3570 (crash) supports only AVX, laptop, where it works, has an i3 6100U, that supports also AVX2. So this looks promising.

That really sounds promising.
All previous Windows builds were done by houz in a virtual machine. As I see by default the build tries to use -march=native and -mtune=native

Now my build machine has an Intel Core i5 4690k, which does indeed support AVX2, and that would explain the phenomena we see (aka: AVX2 instructions in the executable, which fails on non AVX2 hardware)

Now I’m wondering which march and mtune setting we should then use for the Windows platform from this list:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/x86-Options.html

Should it be -mtune=generic like the MacOS builds?

1 Like

My system is pre-AVX2 and has an integrated GPU. Just tried installing and running dt and it crashes as reported by countless others.

As a comparison, RT 5.5-rc2 on the official website uses the following for Windows:

if u can just render several versions, and we test them :slight_smile: (on the same pc i am using also hachintosh, and the there is working, (but no opencl nevermind i am on windows now)

I would go with : -march=x86-64

To check the actual options used you can do:

gcc -march=x86-64 -Q --help=target

For example on my side:

gcc -march=x86-64 -Q --help=target | grep avx

List avx and avx2 as disabled. But if I use native instead of x86-64 they are marked as enabled.

That’s perfect. I have checked and gcc -march=x86-64 -Q --help=target and gcc -mtune=generic -Q --help=target are resulting the same (for all settings), so in fact I think simply I should ahve passed -DBINARY_PACKAGE_BUILD=ON, and that’s would have solved the problem. New build is on it’s way

1 Like

Some good news: I have convfigured my Hyper-V to use limited processor features set (like not having AVX2). Booting in and launching the original RC2 build I have expereinced the same crash issue as you reported here earlier.

I have now built an -mtune=generic version, and that is working without crash now even with this limited VM. Once @Pascal_Obry confirms that it is working with him as well, we’ll figure out how to share this upated RC2 version with you.

2 Likes

No problem, I’m ready to test too if you think it’s necessary …

Great!

Let me some time to test and if all goes well this will be in our GitHub in some hours.

3 Likes

New version uploaded to GitHub. The issue should be fixed, thanks to Peter for the new build.

2 Likes

WOW! 2.6.0-rc2 Working on my Ivy Bridge
Great job and thank you very much.

Greetings (translated with google translator)

Many thanks to you, Peter and everybody else. Already did the first photo on my pre-AVX2 computer, it looks sleek and stable.

This new RC2 works fine ! Thanks a lot !

The new dt-rc2 is working on my computer. Thanks to all for their hard work.

Thanks, new build working