Excellent video on image composition

In case this refers to me: I didn’t say (or believe) that, and I think there is nothing wrong with having “pretty” as a goal.

The question is not if “pretty” is a valid goal but if the “rules” only produce “pretty” images. I doubt that.

I not only doubt it, but suggest it clearly isn’t true.

1 Like

Well, what can we conclude from this very interesting discussion that stirrs “uneasiness” (something that I like very much)? From my point of view that video was great for many reasons:

• The author clearly states that he wants to create “wall-(b)hangers”.
  • I assume that this is his definition of a “simple, un-cluttered, pretty image that follows certain rules”
  • In so far he has created a very clear and comprehensible guideline.
  • There is nothing wrong in following this approach as it is totally okay to completely disagree.
  • I can find joy in pictures which are completely cluttered, technically trash and without definite subject (aka my sons finger paintings or pictures of my basement table full of stuff). I make them wall-hangers.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching the video, I learned a lot from it and I appreciate this discussion. Thanks everyone.

I didn’t find the discussions here uncomfortable. I thought they were generally respectful alternative viewpoints. I am still amazed this video could inspire such a deep conversation, but that is what the forum is here for.