Experimenting with Local Laplacian Filters

Sounds really interesting :slight_smile:
Thanks for the answer!

nice, thanks for posting all these command lines here again.

you are using 12 curves, right? i looked at these images for too long, i can see diffusion/blur artifacts at the mountain ridge to the right when flipping between the accentuated coarse and previous images.

i was excited about the possibility to use the coarse scales as a kind of dynamic range compression here but never succeeded to make that look good. do you have good experience with that?

instead i’m using the extremes of the curve to affect blacks and highlights separately. with mixed results. it only affects isolated blacks/highlights, it needs the opponent around it :slight_smile:

also i keep changing my mind which shape exactly should the curves have for particular images. sometimes i’m thinking maybe a couple of arbitrary curves and a way to merge it would be better (aka exposure fusion…).

No, it is definitely an issue and happens in both all vs coarse. I notice it in the indoors photo as well, though it is thankfully much less apparent.

That said, it is a big improvement from @Carmelo_DrRaw’s previous attempts. :+1:

Some sort of curve smoothing in order?