Exported TIFF has artifacts not seen in darkroom

Windows 11
darktable Oct. 16 weekly build 4.1.0+565~gfc50dbc5a (same issue seen with 4.1.0+427~g90b964f88)
Canon CR3 image

It may be something I’ve done – goodness knows I’m no darktable expert – but I’m seeing some artifacts in the TIFF that aren’t visible (as strongly, at least) in the darkroom. See 100% and 200% screenshots, note the fringing around the leaves against the sky.

100% darkroom

4.1.0+565~gfc50dbc5a-100PCT-darkroom

100% TIFF

4.1.0+565~gfc50dbc5a-100PCT-TIFF

For clarity, here’s 200% percent:

darkroom

4.1.0+565~gfc50dbc5a-200PCT-darkroom

TIFF

4.1.0+565~gfc50dbc5a-200PCT-TIFF

Now once again I’m far from expert and there are certainly some artifacts in the darkroom view, but they’re vastly worse in the TIFF export. The difference between the two is what concerns me, since I’d expect them to look the same.

My export settings

darktable_export_options

CR3 and XMP

IMG_5021.CR3.xmp (14.7 KB)
IMG_5021.CR3 (30.2 MB)

I see the same TIFF artifacts in XnView MP, Fast Stone Image Viewer and Affinity Photo, so they’re real. No changes have been made to my DT config recently and I don’t recall seeing this before. I’ve not opened a github issue in case it’s something I’m doing wrong (but can if it’s deemed a bug).

Thanks.

Try with high quality resampling to yes.

I don’t know if it is predictable in every case but I have posted on something similar before. Apparently the export pipeline is not the same as the display preview pipeline to the extent that deviations can occur esp when zooming and how that impact data in the ROI used to calculate the display. The last one I saw were some artifacts that appeared different at different zoom levels and also were not the same in the exported image…

Noted here

Interesting… where does pixel type come from… I don’t have that in my export dialogue???

I did before posting, but there was no difference.

Dunno. This is Bill’s weekly build…?

Thanks.

I just looked through your edit…to me it seems like your contrast eq is the issue… I looked at the mask and the areas masked are showing up in your export but not your display I think…at least when I disable it the artifact goes away from the export…

Contrast eq mask…

Can you post it?

@priort is pixel type a thing just for tiff and you are looking at something else in your export window ?

@ topic : as if the mask is somehow causing an alpha thing (opacity ) written in the tiff?

You should be able to spot that in affinity …

Yes please. I don’t know, why the artifacts are stronger in the TIFF, but in general I would try to avoid masks with such hard edges at all. Your photo is full of these artifacts, in your sample crop it’s just a little more visible than in other places.

Try increasing feathering radius. Should give you the same overall visual effect but without the problems of the hard edges.

grafik

The OP just has a setting in their tiff export that I don’t seem to have…just wondering where it came from??

Actually, I was fiddling around with CE trying to get a bit more contrast out of the wood building, but I thought I had turned it off since I abandoned that idea. Apparently my allergies / sinuses were affecting me more than I thought last night. :laughing: But your suggestion is well taken. I usually refine masks more, but I thought that was disabled.

It was the CE / mask, but here are two screenshots with no CE / mask: One without high quality resampling and one with. There’s basically no difference.

No HQR

200PCT-TIFF-noCEmask

With HQR

200PCT-TIFF-noCEmask-HQR

There’s still a little bit of a hard edge but that could be something else entirely. I had also run into issue with filmic / preserve chrominance on previous images so I had disabled it. Setting it back to maxRGB might have helped a little.

My go to is dehaze preset of diffuse and sharpen … maybe give that a try

1 Like