Extreme noise and blown highlights - please improve with Darktable

Yes, that is clearly sound advice. I didn’t follow it with this image because I was completely taken by surprise at being able to enter the building with a few seconds to spare before it closed and having no tripod with me (highly inconvenient in a busy central London). The idea of a barketed exposure just never occured to me. I limited my self to ISO 400, this being a camera design which was at least 10 years old when I took the photo. I wanted a good depth of field (for obvious reasons) so ended up with a reasonable shutter duration of 1/100. Even with the IS capability of this camera I shake too much to go much slower and still get a reasonably sharp photo. I’ll make a better job of it next time I visit!

Hmm, yes, an altogether most satisfying restoration of my poor original. I’m keen, as are others, to examine the sidecar file. I would also like to know what ‘ART’ is, that produces the out.arp file. This file format is completely unknown to me.

Hi,

I would also like to know what ‘ART’ is, that produces the out.arp file.

well, since you asked… ART is a variant of RawTherapee, another RAW converter/image processor. More info here: agriggio / ART / wiki / Home — Bitbucket

This file format is completely unknown to me.

It’s the format used to store the processing parameters of ART, like xmp is for darktable and lightroom.

And while I’m at it, here’s my take with ART (I hope you don’t mind). I opted for a slightly less saturated and darker look, that I find more suitable to a church – IMHO obviously.

170322_Waterloo_Bridge_37.CR2.arp (10.8 KB)

3 Likes

A new learner’s attempt. darktable 3.2.1, only, using modules tone equalizer, filmic rgb, and denoise (profiled).

170322_Waterloo_Bridge_37.CR2.xmp (6.5 KB)

1 Like

That was fun. After white balance, exposure and Filmic corrections I applied Profiled Denoise and created custom curves in wavelets. I recall seeing a video from @rawfiner where he recommended cranking up the strength and then backing off of the wavelets.
That seemed to work ok for me. From there I played around with Color Balance and some other modules to introduce light split tones and some extra punch.

170322_Waterloo_Bridge_37.CR2.xmp (26.8 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks. As evidenced by other edits its easy to reduce noise further than I have, at the expense of some sharpness. When noise is as high as this, there will always be a trade off. Perhaps because I like film which is grainy, Luma noise doesn’t bother me as much as others. It tends to be less noticeable on prints than on screen as well.