extremely clipping image: ART or darktabe or RawTherapee? [solved]

Hello, @chris
Your words are very reassuring.
The problem I faced is this: There is something very fascinating about ART because you get good results so quickly. But I decided to switch from RT to dt because of the many possibilities and because I assume that dt will be well developed.
But in an overexposed image I saw that ART very quickly gave a better result than I got with dt. This made me very suspicious. But now I see from the examples that you can get the same good images with both programs.

I understood your words well, except for your ideas in the last paragraph.

There are inpaint opposed and segmentation based already in the dev builds. Both should do well on this photo. I used inpaint opposed on my edit.

Oh my! Now I quickly developed this photo with my old RawTherapee 5.8. In a few seconds I had a result that leaves all attempts with ART and dt clearly behind.
I pray that RT wants to stay alive after all and I will seriously reconsider my intention to leave RT.
Ks.RW2.pp3 (12.9 KB)

1 Like

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so outside the door looks washed out on my screen and the highlights are grey. The inside is very dark and shadowed with little definition or color…but that could be the look you see for this photo…inside could be as you like for me the portions outside the door dont look great and the green on my screen is a bit un-natural…like all of this discussions lots of subjectivity…

I rarely do it but likely because I cranked up the vibrance for some interest on the wood on the bench and books to bring out the color…not saying it was in any way realistic but I tried it and I liked it so I left it in the edit…

Lots of information provided here

This was an exciting adventure for me, even though the outcome probably doesn’t surprise you connoisseurs at all: You can work excellently with all three converters. The quality of the results obviously depends only on the mastery of the program. Which one you choose is probably mainly a matter of taste and habit. It’s no wonder that I get the best results the fastest with RT, because I’ve used RT the most. ART is very easy and clear to use and brings almost the same quality, although I have little experience with it. dt is difficult for me to use, I still have a lot to learn there. No wonder it takes me the longest to take this bad test photo and the result is still a bit behind RT.

Thank you all for your commitment, I have learned a lot: practice makes perfect (and not the software).

This is my best results:
Ks.RW2.arp (11.4 KB)
Ks.RW2.pp3 (12.6 KB)
Ks.RW2.xmp (6.3 KB)